Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Punk/Ska Thread Ver 2.0

The Punk/Ska Thread Ver 2.0

Continuing pheonix angel wing's thread from the Music board of way back when (why? because I'm bored) so that punk rock is open to discussion. I added the "ska" to it this time around so feel free to praise Op Ivy. Anyway, feel free to discuss from the old classics to the newer bands.

Anyway, I recently got into Social Distortion, I'm liking them very much, any fans here that could reccomend a "best" album or what not? All I've heard so far is their Live at the Roxy album, and I was impressed right there. Thanks.

2. Rick reconizin'

The Pixies are my little 'thing' of the moment.

Oh, and Shellac!
    Boo, Hiss.

3. I've never heard Shellac, but I do have Songs About Fucking by Big Black (Steve Albini's old group). I really like it. Did you know Steve also produced the Pixies album Surfa Rosa?

4. Woot

Hey. Just to start some conversation i'll go into my experiences over the years in the Music indsustry. Alright, music fer me started out in 6th grade, when i began playing guitar. I'd sit around playing fuckin creed, and some other bull shit. Then i soon realized the poeple who listened to all the mainstream shit, weren't really my type, so i started chillin with the punks. I soon realized there was a whole different genre of music out there, that lacked the same old power chord bull shit, that so many pop bands now have. So then i started spreading the punk anthem to my friends. I started listening to ska alot! THen soon after i found that ska wasn;t really fulfilling my Moshing attitide, so i started moving to full fledged punk. Like oxymoron, and AFI and other hardcore shit. But recently, i've only been satisfied with fuckin HARDCORE. Like poison the well, bane, sick of it all, aus - rotten, etc. I started going to shows in like 7th grade, in the city to venues like the wetlands (which i praise after their closing.. boohoo) irving plaza, roseland and shit like that. I'd like to end this by saying Fuck emo, and Fuck racism, ANd fuck rednecks. PEace

I don't think all emo is that bad, but like most punk bands, it really comes down to the singers. We got some local emo bands in Ocean City that are pretty rockin', but they also have good singers. If you're talking about stuff like Dashboard Confessional, I can agree that that kind of emo is pretty crappy.

6. Try Desaparecidos if you think emo is all weepy and sad relationship songs. They hit as hard as any band I've ever heard, and the lyrics are about corporations, Disney, chain malls ect., sucking the soul out of the world. My favorite hardcore bands are Minor Threat, Descendents, Bad Brains (my favorite), and Black Flag.

deathwishkersey Guest
    Hey, guys, I've been punk rock for about the last 10-11 years. Social D. was one of the first bands I got into along with the Ramones,X,Misfits,Black Flag.
    My pick for all time greatest Social Distrtion album is Mommy's Little Monster. They are all good, though. Have you seen Another State Of Mind? It's a great film and has some good live footage of Social Distortion when they were really young(along with Youth Brigade and Minor Threat)

8. Punk is definately my favorite kind of music. My favorites being The Vandals, Less Than Jake, The Descendents, NOFX, Me First and the Gimme Gimmes, Limp, Lagwagon and the Ataris.

Oh and The Vandals "Anarchy Burger" is the coolest song ever. Combined with the point that their guitarist is a lawyer and it's comedy genius.
    They call me Heatmiser
    and whatever I touch
    starts to melt in my clutch
    I'm too much!

Have you seen Another State Of Mind? It's a great film and has some good live footage of Social Distortion when they were really young(along with Youth Brigade and Minor Threat)
    Well, I like Youth Briage, too. I guess I'll have to check this movie out, thanks.

I think the best punk bands are The Ramones, Dead Kennedys, Black Flag, Misfits, Swingin' Utters, and the best of the best, Bad Religion. Other noteworthy punk bands are Social D, Sex Pistols, Youth Brigade, Op Ivy (one of the few ska bands I love), Fugazi, The Dickies, and The Adolescents. As you can see, I'm mostly into the older bands, there's only a few new(er) punk bands I like, Swingin' Utters being the best of the last 10 years I think.

10. Alrighty, if you've read the thread about music mags I put up, then you know my stance on Spin magazine. So without further ado, here is thier list of the top 30 (out of 50, lazy) essential punk albums.
    1-"Ramones", Ramones
    2-"Pink Flag", Wire
    3-"The Clash", The Clash
    4-"Los Angeles", X
    5-"Germfree Adolescents", X-Ray Spex
    6-"Singles Going Steady", Buzzcocks
    7-"Entertainment!", Gang of Four
    8-"New Day Rising", Husker Du
    9-"Raincoats", Raincoats
    10-"Never Mind The Bollocks Heres The Sex Pistols", Sex Pistols
    11-"Unknown Pleasures", Joy Division
    12-"Blank Generation", Richard Hell and The Voidoids
    13-"In Utero", Nirvana
    14-"The Modern Dance", Pere Ubu
    15-"Cut", The Slits
    16-"Bad Brains", Bad Brains
    17-"Second Edition", PIL
    18-"Damaged", Black Flag
    19-"Dig Me Out", Sleater-Kinney
    20-"Milo Goes To College"-Descendents
    21-"Generic"-Flipper
    22-"Double Nickels on the Dime", Minutemen
    23-"No New York", various
    24-"Hex Enduction Hour", The Fall
    25-"Sorry Ma, Forgot To Take Out The Trash", Replacements
    26-"Liliput", Kleenex/Liliput
    27-"Complete Discography", Minor Threat
    28-"Meat Puppet II", Meat Puppets
    29-"Pussy Whipped", Bikini Kill
    30-"Anthology", Germs
    I have most of these records, and though I'd switch a few things around, I think this is a solid list. Just in case anyone wonders, yes, Fugazi and Dead Kennedys both made the list.