Age of Empires: The Age of Kings
Ensemble Studios unleashes the first RTS on the Nintendo DS.
Preview by (Email)
May 16th 2005
Overview: The standard-bearer for real-time strategy games on the Windows platform, Ensemble Studios' Age of Empires property has sold more than 16 million copies worldwide, making it one of the best-selling games for Windows franchises of all time. The Nintendo DS game is scheduled for release this holiday.
"Age of Empires has set the gold standard for real-time strategy games and its global audience continues to grow," said Ken Gold, vice president of Marketing for Majesco. "Our portable version provides an exceptional game experience by taking advantage of the new DS features, and we are excited to have such a high-profile and well-regarded property spearhead our DS lineup for the back-half of 2005."
Age of Empires: The Age of Kings boasts turn-based strategy gameplay – a first for the franchise – asplayers move from the Dark Ages through the Middle Ages with one goal in mind: domination of the known world.
- Command one of five different civilizations: the Britons, Franks, Mongols, Saracens, or Japanese;
- Control special 'hero' units such as Richard the Lionheart, Robin Hood, Joan of Arc and Genghis Khan, whose special 'hero' powers affect the entire battlefield;
- Lead over 45 different types of units into battle - from bowmen and monks to hand cannoneers, mercenaries and samurai;
- Players' can construct and upgrade buildings to help their units learn new skills and create resources for their civilizations;
- Research over 50 different technologies like chemistry, ballistics, siege craft and spying to advance civilization into the next age;
- A new Combat Advisor offers advice on certain campaign strategies and provides an assessment of the battle's outcome;
- Multi-player scenarios allow up to four players to wirelessly battle each other;
- By gaining Empire Points, players can unlock maps and units to improve their Emperor Rank;
- Includes the music and sounds from the best-selling PC version.