With a strong portfolio of A-list titles, Ubisoft is definitely one of the best video game publishers on the market known for such blockbuster franchises including Splinter Cell, Prince of Persia and Far Cry. After demonstrating they’re the newest pioneers in game development, Ubisoft is preparing to enter new territory - a genre which until now, has mostly been inhabited by Capcom, Tecmo, and Konami.
Enter their newest project - Cold Fear, an action-horror game slated for release on Xbox, PS2, and PC platforms next March. Since the game is in the early stages of development, details are extremely sparse at the moment. However, according to the announcement, we’ve been able to gather that Cold Fear plans to "renew the horror genre" by blending the best elements from existing action and horror releases. Based on the description, we predict influences were drawn from Resident Evil and The Thing.
Cold Fear is being developed by Darkworks, who gained worldwide recognition after completing the fourth installment in the Alone in the Dark series released on PlayStation and Dreamcast. Rest assured, Darkworks has demonstrated an exceptional craft for delivering remarkable art and immersive scenarios. Fans familiar with their previous projects should expect nothing less than another captivating, fear-filled experience.
"We're excited to make our debut in the horror genre with a unique title like Cold Fear," said Tony Kee, Vice-President of Marketing for Ubisoft. "It falls into a previously un-tapped category of realistic action-horror gameplay, including vast environments and a disturbingly plausible storyline."
In Cold Fear, players will take the role of Tom Hansen, a U.S. Coast Guard who is sent to board a drifting Russian whaling ship in the middle of a howling storm on the Bering Sea. He arrives only to discover that terrifying surprises await him on the bloodstained decks of the constantly rocking, shifting vessel. Set in a volatile, dynamic environment, players will find themselves overwhelmed by fear as they engage in intense combat with intelligent enemies. Even the toughest competitor will be challenged to endure the heart-stopping terror that is Cold Fear.
Unfortunately, no other details have been revealed at this time. However, we’ll be paying a close eye on future developments and will report back as new details become available.
A new fact sheet hit the wire today, revealing some key features players can look forward to. Best of all, we can finally give you a glimpse of the in-game action, thanks to several new screenshots we came across. Check them out, and stay tuned for continued updates.
- Clever action: Interact with close to a dozen different traps offered by your environment to eliminate frantic and fiendishly clever enemies, or choose in an array of seven devastating and varied weapons.
- Horror to the gore: Fight your way through a blood-soaked nightmare straight out of a horror movie. Spill your path with liters of blood as you blast through hordes of lurking, vicious enemies.
- Into the center of the storm: Survive in the middle of a ferocious arctic storm that constantly rocks the ship's deck under your feet. Every step you take, the raging weather wind, waves, rain and breakers will oppose your advance.
- Rock the boat: Challenge or take advantage of the constantly shifting environment: cling on handrails, avoid deadly falls and lure your enemies into dangerous areas where only you can survive.
- Real shivers: Immerse yourself in one of the most detailed and realistic horror experience. Will you have what it takes to confront it?
- A riveting storyline: Discover how it all started in a startling and brilliantly told storyline. Get help from mysterious and attaching characters and oppose sick-minded mobsters and mad scientists.
- Horror new territories: Onboard a mysterious whaler ship, or deep inside the entrails of a sickly parasited oil rig explore vast, crumbling, oppressive and constantly moving environments.