Unreal Championship 2: The Liandri Conflict
New Content: Midway and Epic deliver the goods with more maps, action and characters!
Preview by Ken Horowitz (Email)
August 28th 2005
The Basics: You wanted it, and now you've got it. Midway and Epic games recently announced that new downloadable content for Unreal Championship 2 is now available for the Xbox. This latest batch features four new maps for death match, capture the flag, and overdose modes of play; as well as ten new characters and combos. The download is free, so all those who have Xbox Live can get in on the action at any time. Neither Midway nor Epic have revealed whether or not the content will be made available by other means (demo disc, etc.) in the future, so for now only Live users can enjoy all the new goodies. A game update is also part of the package, but it has yet to be specified exactly which areas of gameplay will be improved. Even so, it probably wouldn't be too far a stretch to expect tweaks to the frame rate and weapon balance.
What do we think? I'm a big proponent of downloadable content. In this day and age of pre-installed hard drives, it's almost criminal to release a game without it. Epic's Unreal series has always supported the feature, and I must admit that this is a great freebie. Lots of new characters and maps are exactly what an FPS needs to keep itself fresh and inviting and this download should keep players busy for quite some time.
Even with all this content love though, I'd like to see more support for the single player aspect of the game. Unreal Championship 2 took great strides to produce a more involving single player campaign, and some extra maps or guns would make it even more attractive. Why not reward gamers who complete the campaign with a special character or gun? That'd give them something to brag about while battling their friends online (as if Live players need another reason to brag).
Last Updated: 01/13/05
Unreal Championship 2: The Liandri Conflict continues the Unreal franchise on the Xbox and introduces an evolutionary new gameplay style to the traditional FPS genre: acrobatic melee combat. This highly anticipated sequel also features new single-player and multiplayer gameplay, person camera mode and intense melee abilities. Unreal Championship fans can play as any one of 14 characters from the Unreal universe, each with spectacular new Adrenaline Powers that enable new offensive and defensive combos.
- Bone Crunching Melee Combat. For the first time in an Unreal game, battle it out with melee combat that’s seamlessly melded with Unreal’s trademark fast-paced shooter action.
- Renowned Unreal Weaponry. Destroy your foes with updated, classic weapons including the Rocket Launcher, Flak Cannon and Ripjack or utilize all-new hardware like the Grenade Launcher.
- Unparalleled Multi-Player Action. Battle with up to 8 players online in Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch and Capture the Flag, plus new modes like Overdose and Nali Slaughter. Utilize System Link to play against others by directly linking Xbox consoles, or play with your Live account.
- Intense Single-Player Tournament. Play as a variety of uniquely-skilled characters, or take on the role of Anubis as he fights to reclaim his people’s Ascension Rites from the omnipotent Liandri Corporation.
- Built Exclusively for Xbox. Over 40 stunning environments and unique maps designed exclusively for Xbox and UC2’s new mix of melee combat and traditional ranged weaponry.