Looking back at some of the game-changing titles in history (inspired by Frogacuda's forum thread) and twenty-five years of The Legend of Zelda causes some of us to face up to secrets we have long struggled with. You know how it was revealed in X-Men that Mr. Sinister has been manipulating Cyclops since he was a child? Well, even if you don't, you just may find out that sleeve lied to you . . . ten years before you ever got on the Internet!
In addition to our true confessions, there is a lot more to listen to on this landmark fifth installment. Here's a list of some items of interest:
- We make a grab for the 90s hip-hop audience
- The return of the TNL arcade
- The "I'm Staring at the Future of Gaming" thread
- Seeing Quake in a cofee shop
- U R Not [Bloody] e
- How did Battle Arena Toshinden fool so many?
- Spinning arcade cabinets in the New West
- The original Prince of Persia - no, the really old one
- Bootlegs and screen resolution in the early PC days
- The 3D revolution with Super Mario 64 and Tomb Raider
- Super Mario Bros. (the Athena precursor) on a black-and-white TV = mind-blowing
- Lunar almost destroys someone's future?
- Shenmue and Grand Theft Auto III open new worlds
- Early forays into online console gaming, including Phantasy Star Online
- Sega Channel - the future of gaming in caveman days
- The impact of the original Legend of Zelda on young minds
- Eric and The Nintendo Fun Club News grow in fame via deception
- Going straight to the second quest in Zelda
- Nintendo will sue you into poverty, but always with a friendly smile
- Mario shoots barrels(?!), Link thrives on the edge
- "In [Hyrule], everbody's gotta watch everybody else"
- Zelda: Link's Awakening - the fishing barrier
- Zelda II: The Adventure of Link - love/hate
- The Zelda timeline - inbreeding and confusion
- Link to the Past - one of the best games of all time
- Why you should never use Zelda GPS
- Ocarina of Time - darker or drabber?
- The many faces of Ganon
- Majora's Mask - formula breaker
- A plea for less rock bombing
- Wind Waker does it right, but some didn't know it at the time
- Twilight Princess, why are you here?
- Let's take Miyamoto to a strip club!
- Are Okami and Twilight Princess related?
- Skyward Sword feels right, but the manual is just annoying
- Sometimes a pouch is just a pouch (plus, crazy psycho girlfriend eyes)
- "Hogwarts mixed with Avatar"
- Nobody dies in 80s action
- Comparing and contrasting the Uncharted games
- The flawed heroism of Nathan Drake and Indiana Jones
- Combat and the unique online multiplayer in Dark Souls
- Monster Hunter Tri smash puny friend codes!
- "Hey hey, my my; [Rock Band 3] will never die"
- Corrupted by the young on Xbox Live
- Athena's new game, King of Fighters XIII, explained
- Chuck decimates his own team in Battlefield 3
- More Skyrim scumbaggery
- The engaging multiplayer in Assassin's Creed: Revelations
- Spies versus mercs quirks
Leave your comments here or at (312) 233-2865. Selected calls may be played on future podcasts.
Listening options (iTunes is on the other side of this weekend):
DIRECT PLAYER (may not show in Chrome)
RIGHT-CLICK (CONTROL-CLICK) AND SAVE
Miserable Podcast of Secrets - Episode 5.