Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 23456818 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Japanese Cartoons: Whatcha Watchin'?

1. oh lodoss war...

The opening to the Chronicles of the Heroic Knight series was amazing. I never watched it because someone told me my favorite character dies

also.. anyone watch GunBuster?

SIMEE-SUUUU
    look here, upon a sig graveyard.

2. Chronicles of the Heroic Knight is boring as hell. You're better off watching the first few episodes before the perspective shift then just watching Welcome to Lodoss Island. He rest doesn't exist!

I keep meaning to watch gunbuster. I hear that it was on bluray for a while

4. GunBuster is an all-time classic. Gainax in their prime and Haruhiko Mikimoto providing the character designs? Yes please. One of the very few sci-fi series I've seen that tried to depict the theoretical effects of light speed travel and time dilation in a "realistic" manner. It makes for some seriously tense drama.

The giant robot anime coming out of that '83 to '95 sweet spot was spectacular.

5. Golden Boy was a weird series with weird quirks, but the meta-episode where he goes to work at an anime studio is pretty spot-on for actual animation work.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

6. One of my favorite bits of animation is from Golden Boy:

7. Quote Originally Posted by No One View Post
    Awesome thread. My stepdaughter developed an interest in anime a couple years back and every summer we marathon through a handful of series together. We pick one modern series and follow it up with a classic. Last summer was Bubblegum Crisis and the original Macross, this year we're watching the Lodoss War OVAs.

It's rough in a lot of places, but those Nobuteru Yuki character designs are still absolutely gorgeous. Lovely opening and closing themes, too.
    I've somehow never watched that, but fuck that looks cool.

I'll start this weekend.

8. I think the first episode is the pilot, which takes place in between two later episodes and the quality is really good...

Then the series starts and it kind of looks way worse. It does build up to looking almost as good as the original episode near the end.
    look here, upon a sig graveyard.

9. Quote Originally Posted by sedition View Post
    oh lodoss war...

The opening to the Chronicles of the Heroic Knight series was amazing. I never watched it because someone told me my favorite character dies
    Orson goes out a hero, though

The Legend of Crystania Film and OVAs are pretty good, too. It's manga, but the Lady of Pharis is also excellent. I really want the Rune Soldier novels translated, too. They take place on the larger continent of Alecrast north of Lodoss. Seems like a certain Free Knight and his elven friend makes an appearance.

10. Back in the mid-90s my family had one of those old full-size satellite dishes with the satellites named stuff like G1, F4, etc. Every friday about the time x-files came on there's be a station on one of the obscure satellites called channel 1 that showed Streamline dubbed anime. Saw a lot of good stuff, like Castle of Cagliostro, 3x3 Eyes, Silent Mobius , etc. Showed the old Streamline ads, too.