Page 4 of 324 FirstFirst ... 23456818 ... LastLast

Thread: Go, Economy!

1. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    You don't invest for a one week turnaround, so it'll be a long time before we know if Cramer was right or not.
    If he was talking about the stock, then yes, he was absofuckinglutely wrong. Shares are not going to rebound because they're not going to exist.

2. Quote Originally Posted by burgundy View Post
    If JPMorgan did not buy Bear Stearns the world economy would have flushed itself down the crapper. This was the financial equivalent of the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Also, if you would prefer to discuss cereal instead of the credit market, prepare for a life of poverty.
    It's not that we're not worried about the economy, I think everyone is pretty riled up about it. It's just that this is TNL and when we see a thread derailment, it's the status quo to run with it.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    You don't invest for a one week turnaround, so it'll be a long time before we know if Cramer was right or not.
    You don't blindly invest for an indefinite time period either. Cramer was dead wrong again. The guy's credibilty goes for less than Bear Stearns did today.

By the way, the days of "buy and hold" investing (i.e. ostrich head in the sand technique) are dead.

Quote Originally Posted by burgundy
    If JPMorgan did not buy Bear Stearns the world economy would have flushed itself down the crapper. This was the financial equivalent of the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Also, if you would prefer to discuss cereal instead of the credit market, prepare for a life of poverty.
    Yep.

4. Quote Originally Posted by burgundy View Post
    Eh. He was either misquoted or misunderstood. I think he was talking about doing business with Bear, not investing in their shares.
    I saw him being questioned about that today on some random CNBC show. He explained it as meaning, if you have your money IN Bears, not invested, it's perfectly safe to keep there. Whether he's back peddling or not his explanation of what he meant by that quote seems perfectly reasonable.

5. Quote Originally Posted by burgundy View Post

One could say the buyout was/is delaying the inevitable. The world is quite built up around the US money machine which is sadly built up on magic mystery money (read: debt). If anything the rest of the world will buy us out just to keep our consumption at its record highs. Another depression may occur due to what's happening right now.

Although we could start discussing cereal futures instead maybe?

http://www.fvza.org/index.html

6. You're grossly simplifying the issue.

I really can't discuss this though, I have been gagged on yet another major legal issue. : (

7. So banks throughout the US are essentially crashing?

This could get really messy real quick.

How much you wanna bet that Bush's solution for this is "WE NEED ANOTHER TAX REFUND OF A FEW HUNDRED DOLLARS!!!!"
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

8. So I'm reading more about this Bear Sterns thing... we're kinda goosed, aren't we?

9. Quote Originally Posted by Type Ryan View Post
    Don't forget Citi Group - that's the next big bank that might get bought out by the Gubment.
    Something's up with Chase. All of their branches here were swallowed up by Banco Popular. They've practically disappeared, and they had been here forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
    By the way, the days of "buy and hold" investing (i.e. ostrich head in the sand technique) are dead.
    Your broker must love taking your money.