Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: SNK Playmore bought by Leyou Technologies

1. Providing Context - SNK is worried that 20-somethings don't play enough pachinko, will leverage game properties to entice them to play more pachinko.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.

Yeah, those comments were made at a Pachinko press conference. That's the important context. That doesn't mean we're ever going to see another video game from them, but you have to keep the audience in mind.

If Kotaku weren't a terrible site, the author would have made that obvious.

3. I still think it makes sense that they'd lean into this and for games, stay mobile only (or re-release Neo-Geo games forever).

But this goes back to one of the few things you and I agree on - if you want good 2D, you have to pay for it. It doesn't seem like anyone wants to, or at least in large enough number than SNK sees the point and profit in doing another KoF. And if it were 3D? You'd still have the fact that the fanbase is so small, recouping the cost of development, let alone make money, would be a hard deal.

If they made a new KoF, 2D, and charged $200 for it, maaaybe they could make money on it...assuming all KoF fans would be willing to pay that. Alternatively, do it like SFV - charge for a smaller 'core' game, and milk $200 or more out of folks with updates to the character roster over time.

I don't have sales numbers, especially when a lot were digital and not published, but it seems KoF XII and XIII did pretty well. So maybe that remains the only "core" Hi, ARBM! series, and everything else goes mobile and/or pachinko only. Keep in mind they get two waves of income on new "real" KoF games. They released them on the Type X series in arcades and then again for consoles and PC, so they get two bites at the apple in terms of ROI.

5. Well, it's good if they keep pulling income for them through arcades, but I still don't know how/if it'd be enough. I'd love for them to continue making new 2D games forever (as long as they can secure good talent), but I can also see how focusing on pachinko/mobile games makes the most sense for them.

6. I don't think mobile worked out so well for SNK and it's hard to imagine anything bringing them back but at least pachislot means fantastic animation from your favorite dead series. Maybe they'll make a God Slayer machine.
    Donk

7. SNK Playmore bought by Leyou Technologies

Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    China's been doing some interesting stuff, I'd like to see hit over hereXuan Dou Zhi Wang .
    Seriously, this is your best hope going forward. Someone else licensing the characters for their own game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

8. Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    Seriously, this is your best hope going forward. Someone else licensing the characters for their own game.
    That footage looks...unsettling. Like digitized actors from Street Fighter: The Movie: The Game unsettling.

9. If you squint it looks exactly like KOFXIII without the pixel tracing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

10. Currently, they're primarily focusing on Pachinko. Son of a bitch!