Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 79101112131525 ... LastLast

Thread: Supreme Court to Decide if Schools Should Actually Base Admissions on Merit

1. Lol

2. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    Affirmative Action makes it about race.
    How do you know this one guy, as opposed to the myriad of under qualified white people that get promoted too far, did so on his race?

I'll put it another way: why is it that a white guy gets that promotion he doesn't deserve?

3. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    How do you know this one guy, as opposed to the myriad of under qualified white people that get promoted too far, did so on his race?

I'll put it another way: why is it that a white guy gets that promotion he doesn't deserve?
    Cuz dawg, when a white man gets promoted it's cuz he got his shit together. Black guy gets ahead it's that damn AA.

http://www.fvza.org/index.html

4. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    It's a nice thought, but I don't see how this would do anything but disadvantage minorities.

Let's look at a simple thing: The Rooney Rule in the NFL. The power structure of the NFL is overwhelmingly white in spite of the fact that the majority of players are black. The rule says you need to interview (not hire, just interview) a minority candidate for a head coaching job.

Some people say its dumb and racist. Some people (piece of shit owners like Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder) treat it like a joke and do some BS interview so they can get to the good ol' boy they want. But I do think many people do take the rule seriously and it's led to more black coaches getting hired - 15%-20% versus 5% or so before the rule.

Now. Twenty percent seems low too but that is still a bunch more opportunities. College football, without the rule, is still around 10% and most of those programs are marginal. The NFL guys get judged the same way as everyone else. So is the rule a bad thing? Is it better to get rid of it and return to the good old boy days? I don't see how.
    I know I'm late responding to this, but it stood out. You do make a good point showing that a majority of football players are black.

There's an argument in regards to baseball that there isn't enough black players involved in the the MLB and going about ways to make the sport more integrated. The fact of the matter is that the percentage of black players in the MLB is roughly the same of the percentage of black people in the United States total (something like 11%) and you mix that in with the percentage of white non Hispanic players in the league (which is probably much lower than the percentage among the US population base because of all the Hispanic players) and it really doesn't look so bad. I'm very far from saying that racism in employment markets doesn't exist in the US, but sometimes we miss the bigger picture.

As far as affirmative action, I still view it as a racist program. This may not be the best example, but I found it to be interesting. My wife and I were watching American History X recently. A scene towards the end of the movie has Edward Norton's father talking about how the fire company had to hire several black men over white men even though they didn't score as high on their tests (or something of the like). My wife immediately blurted out "Well, hiring the black guys over the better white guys sounds pretty racist to me" (my wife is black in case anybody has missed that over the years). I think such programs do far more to segregate people and make certain minorities appear less capable of achieving goals without help. I get the reasoning behind all of it, but I don't agree at all with the ends.
    http://www.the-nextlevel.com/board/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1739&dateline=1225393453

5. Gohron, just a heads up - that's just a movie. The real world doesn't work like a movie.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Bojack View Post
    Cuz dawg, when a white man gets promoted it's cuz he got his shit together. Black guy gets ahead it's that damn AA.
    That's what I mean- if some buffoon white guy gets a job he doesn't deserve (which happens all the time), it's a failure of the company bureaucracy at some point - sucks, harmful to the company, but an inevitable reality because hiring and promotions is not a science.

But... if a buffoon black guy gets a job he doesn't deserve, it's obviously because of affirmative action and if not for AA the management would be comprised solely of super genius philosopher-CEOs.

Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post

Eliminate AA and we'll know for sure that it's all management incompetence.

Gohron, just a heads up - that's just a movie. The real world doesn't work like a movie.
    The real world sure does seem like a movie right now. A cliched hack movie about an evil government fucking with the people that allow it to run.

It's so dumb.

9. Foreigners are enjoying our freedom and so am I.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    That's what I mean- if some buffoon white guy gets a job he doesn't deserve (which happens all the time), it's a failure of the company bureaucracy at some point - sucks, harmful to the company, but an inevitable reality because hiring and promotions is not a science.

But... if a buffoon black guy gets a job he doesn't deserve, it's obviously because of affirmative action and if not for AA the management would be comprised solely of super genius philosopher-CEOs.
    How about the way some peeps (usually conservative types) look around and say "Hey, blacks Herman Cain and even Obama made it w/o hollywood or sports so...... RACISM/DISCRIMINATION OVER!!!". Or the way Herman Cain types condescend horribly to their peers concerning opportunity in America.

Shaddup dude, don't let the man hear you pointing out reverse affirmative action.
    Last edited by Bojack; 02 Mar 2012 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Had to edit before Yoshi yelled at me for equating racism and discrimination.

http://www.fvza.org/index.html