Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 12345717 ... LastLast

Thread: Killer Instinct (XBONE) C-C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER

1. Most games that use this model (League of Legends, Smite, etc.) give you more than one fucking character for free AND let you buy you spend playtime currency to buy more instead of real money only.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Pineapple View Post
    Depends on how much they charge per character, but it could make it one very affordable fighting game. Lots of people only like to play one or two characters anyway. I will play all of them.
    it very likely won't be less than $5/character, so if they have everybody from ki1, 2 and new characters that's easily pushing 70 bucks

and this doesn't count selling other game modes as add-ons like local vs local (which I'm sure namco will do with tekken revo, in order to not entirely alienate the tournament scene)

3. Being that I rarely use more than a handful of characters, I don't mind the model. i would hope they give you access to all characters in a training mode or something, so people can at least try the dudes. I would be perfectly happy with Ken alone in Street Fighter if I never got to try any of the other characters. But since I have, I would want Cammy, Fei Long, Blanka, and Dhalsim as well.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I would be perfectly happy with Ken alone in Street Fighter
    Considering that this describes 95% of the people who played SF4, MS may have read the market correctly on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by dave is ok View Post
    Most games that use this model (League of Legends, Smite, etc.) give you more than one fucking character for free AND let you buy you spend playtime currency to buy more instead of real money only.
    Its a new thing for fighting games, they're seeing how it will go. Maybe they'll have other characters free for a weekend so you can try them, that seems like a good idea to steal.

Comparing it to LoL is a bit of a stretch, for a lot of reasons.

There are a lot more things to buy with real money in LoL. They aren't being nice to you by giving you some things for playtime currency, they're hooking you.

Compared to every other game in the world, sure there are things that could be better. But compared to what the current fighting game options are (buy or don't buy) its a new and better option.

I still dislike DLC characters in general, but thats never going away, and is just a product of new versions of the same game anyway.
    John / JohnNiner / Niner

6. I really want to see how the F2P model goes when applies to fighting games. I think it's an interesting experiment, especially if there's also a full disc version that allows it to still be tournament ready.
    "I've watched while the maggots have defiled the earth. They have
    built their castles and had their wars. I cannot stand by idly any longer." - Otogi 2

7. Quote Originally Posted by Darmonde View Post
    Its a new thing for fighting games, they're seeing how it will go. Maybe they'll have other characters free for a weekend so you can try them, that seems like a good idea to steal.

Comparing it to LoL is a bit of a stretch, for a lot of reasons.

There are a lot more things to buy with real money in LoL. They aren't being nice to you by giving you some things for playtime currency, they're hooking you.

Compared to every other game in the world, sure there are things that could be better. But compared to what the current fighting game options are (buy or don't buy) its a new and better option.
    The game will fail if 90% of the matches are Jago vs. Jago. Fighting games seem like the perfect genre to steal some of the MOBA F2P model, but the problem is that it becomes very pay to win very quickly. Buy whoever counters Jago hard and you'll win, unless they switch the free characters every week - which is exactly what I hope they do.

LoL's F2P model sucks because its still pay to win, even with 10 free champs per week.

You're thinking about this the wrong way. There are NOT going to be millions of people playing Jago forever, only because he's the free character. They're not giving you coins to reward you for playing their game for free like LoL. If someone doesn't like the game they'll just stop, this just lets people try it for free, and only buy certain characters if they want.

This is very unlike a MOBA model. There is no hard counter for Jago you can buy for an instant win. The comparison doesn't make sense.
    John / JohnNiner / Niner

9. I think you're underestimating the amount of people who will play F2P games constantly without spending money on them. Even if there isn't a hard counter for Jago. You'll still see him every other game (or more) - being played mostly by non-Americans with horrible ping.

I think you're underestimating how unfun fighting games are!

I definitely know what you mean. I know like 99% of F2P games are the 'free'. But this is NOT A F2P game! Its a shitty fighting game that no casual will ever enjoy for free more than 30 minutes. I don't think this will be Jago vs Jago 90% of the time. But who knows, maybe I'm wrong.

F2P games are designed to make you want to spend money a bit at a time until you're broke. This is not that.
    John / JohnNiner / Niner