Page 1 of 15 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Are We Fighting about HDMI?

1. Why Are We Fighting about HDMI?

My girlfriend won a 2M HDMI Cable ($130) from Monster at a training thing we went to.

It's the fucking Jesus (1440p, 120Hz and 12bit color certified) and it makes shit look AWESOME. In a few months I'm getting a 120Hz Samsung and this beauty is actually going to be able to handle it!

2. Did that post just try to convince me a $130 Monster HDMI cable was in any way worth that much money, or that anyone would be able to tell the difference between it and a $10 cable from monoprice?

I hope that's not what that post was trying to do.

That's the way I read it too, but I'm not buying it. Maybe he meant his girlfriend is worth $130.

4. Power Goblins, IMO.

5. A $10 HDMI is just that, a $10 HDMI.

Now I'm not saying you all need to go out and buy Monster cables, but I'm also not saying that you all need to go out and buy Lamborghini's, but that doesn't mean if you had one you wouldn't appreciate the ways in which it's better.

I can now get Monster products for cost, so that's all I'm going to be using from here on out and I'll be enjoying what that provides me. The shit you guys buy can do the job well enough that you'll probably never know what you're missing out on, but that doesn't mean it's actually doing the job.
    Last edited by Opaque; 28 Nov 2007 at 09:37 PM.

6. Zoinks yo.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Opaque View Post
    A $10 HDMI is just that, a $10 HDMI.

Now I'm not saying you all need to go out and buy Monster cables, but I'm also not saying that you all need to go out and buy Lamborghini's, but that doesn't mean if you had one you wouldn't appreciate the ways in which it's better.

I can now get Monster products for cost, so that's all I'm going to be using from here on out and I'll be enjoying what that provides me. The shit you guys buy can do the job well enough that you'll probably never know what you're missing out on, but that doesn't mean it's actually doing the job.
    Horseshit. It's been proven time and time again that there's little to know difference between midrange cables and the uber overpriced monster cable bullshit.

I'm sure it is better then that $10 cable, but I doubt it's better then a normal $30-40 cable.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

8. Quote Originally Posted by bbobb View Post
    Horseshit. It's been proven time and time again that there's little to know difference between midrange cables and the uber overpriced monster cable bullshit.

I'm sure it is better then that $10 cable, but I doubt it's better then a normal $30-40 cable.
    That $100+ monster cable is no better than the HDMI cable (especially at short length). It is a digital signal, if it passes, it passes. No fancy marketing BS cable will boost your digital signal from source to TV. Seriously, don't get suckered by marketing Opaque.

9. Quote Originally Posted by bbobb View Post
    By who? When? Where?

Because I've seen the results of the eye test and it pretty much shows that Monster is of a higher standard and performs better.

Also, even though I'm sure you all know this since you're experts, 15 of the 16 international patents on HDMI are held by Monster. But I'm sure they make the same shit as everyone else.

Monster makes cables that sell for $70 that even they themselves say can't truly handle the data needed for 1080p. What are the odds your average $40 cable steps up to the challenge flawlessly?

Quote Originally Posted by kingoffighters View Post
    That $100+ monster cable is no better than the HDMI cable (especially at short length). It is a digital signal, if it passes, it passes.
    Go look at the eye tests.

The point is other cables do fail. This isn't some placebo effect and you're all just kidding yourselves if you think Monster isn't a better quality cable. AGAIN, that doesn't mean you need to buy them, that doesn't mean that to you they're worth full price and that doesn't mean that cheap cables won't function. All I'm saying is they're better cables, expensive, but better and if you were using one you'd be on my side right now.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Opaque View Post
    The point is other cables do fail. This isn't some placebo effect and you're all just kidding yourselves if you think Monster isn't a better quality cable.
    My PS3 and HD-DVD players are connected via Monster HDMI. Alls I'm saying is that if I'm actually wrong about the difference in quality, then the $100 at least pays for the placebo effect.