Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4k Displays

1. 4k Displays

I was looking for a 40" display and then this little bumblebee came across my Amazon page: the Seiki SE39UY04-1 39" 4K motherfucker. For $339. It's in transit now, so I don't really know what it's like yet, but:

- It's fucking 4k for $339

- It can do 1080p @ 120hz which is what I plan on gaming in for the forseeable future

- It only has HDMI 1.4 ports and no DisplayPort, which means it can only do 30hz at 4k resolution. That shouldn't be a problem for video (not that there is much available yet and I hate watching films at more than 30fps) but I am slightly concerned about input lag. We shall see. I am really expecting the sheer resolution of the thing to outweigh that negative, but this is all new territory for me.

- I may need to upgrade my video card since I'm not really sure my Radeon 6800 is capable of outputting the 4k res thru HDMI. (Probably with a Displayport adapter, but apparently that limits custom resolutions; some folks are using 1440p/72hz for gaming.)

- I have no plans to use its speakers, or its tv tuner, and I have no current consoles, so this is all for my PC. I do a lot of design work and the Retina screen on Mac spoiled me a little, so that was a big driver of this decision. Also: 339 bucks. That's what my 1680x1050 21-incher cost 8 years ago.

Anyone else try the 4k world yet?
    Last edited by Toupee; 16 Dec 2014 at 02:57 PM.

Please report back when it arrives. I am very curious.

3. I would never buy a 4K set that costs less than a cheap 1080p set ;/

But Joust, all them p's!

I bought a 720p set because it had outstanding color reproduction. It cost a bit more than this one.

5. I would be shocked if this thing wasn't a POS. Fucked up colors, crazy input lag. Something like that.

The reviews on Amazon are mostly positive, so who knows.

How close do you have to sit to be able to see 4K at 39"?

8. Quote Originally Posted by GohanX View Post
    The reviews on Amazon are mostly positive, so who knows.
    Yeah but I question reviews because it's performance/price. I mean yah, everything else is, but if the price is so low, that ratio goes high even if the performance is no good

Plus I question the standards of anyone buying a 4K set for that much. I mean, no offense ;p but there's no such thing as a free lunch

What Joust is trying to say is that we need to filter pleb reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    How close do you have to sit to be able to see 4K at 39"?
    It's gonna be his computer monitor. He should be ok.