Page 3606 of 3613 FirstFirst ... 35923602360436053606360736083610 ... LastLast
Results 36,051 to 36,060 of 36124

Thread: What's Bugging You Today? Volume 3, Part 1

1. Hey, congrats on the trip. I was in Europe most of June and absolutely loved it, Scotland is lovely, Italy is a delight, London is mildly obnoxious but has cool stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

2. Quote Originally Posted by Shin Johnpv View Post
    What about the country and the trip has you so into it and wanting to come back? I've never been to Ireland myself but I hear it's beautiful there, and almost everyone I talk to who has gone has said similar things about wanting to go back.
    It's hard to nail down exactly what it is. I suppose it was the sense of age and history that permeated every aspect of their cities and culture. Yeah, we went to tourist-y places like Dublin that had many areas that could almost pass for Brooklyn or Manhattan, but we also went to a number of smaller towns as well where it felt far more "European." Every sign was in English and Gaelic, which was neat. And Irish accents are awesome, and obviously we were inundated with them.

Every street is spotlessly clean and perfectly paved (big switch from the streets in my area, which are a disgusting patchwork of asphalt and tar patches). People are friendly, polite, and helpful, even when you venture off the beaten path. Between every town are endless pastures and forests, with many fields everywhere teeming with sheep, cows, and goats. Since Ireland has no natural predators, farmers just let their livestock wander freely without any worries. They just slap some paint on 'em so they can tell them apart.

Tiny country as well. Population of only 5 million, and you can literally drive coast-to-coast in 3 hours. We landed in Dublin - which is on the right coast - and it took us 10 minutes to fly over the entire country.

Our tour bus guide kept us occupied as we went from town to town and excursion to excursion with information about the areas we were traveling to, the general history of Ireland. We squeezed an enormous amount into a 9-day tour and I don't feel we wasted a single second. Well, the tour of the Guinness factory on the first day was kind of a bust (I mean it was a nice factory, but it's just beer), but otherwise we really packed so much into the trip. A tour was the perfect way to get a taste for what Ireland has to offer...if we hopefully go back in the future, the tour gave us a great road map for us to go it alone the next time and concentrate on specific places and experiences. My girlfriend's favorite movie is The Quiet Man and we got a glimpse of a bridge that was featured in it...she's hoping next time we can visit the actual village where it was shot. Galway was pretty sweet as well.

Plus Dublin actually has two Tower Records! I actually picked up a few movies there cheap that have only revived blu-ray releases in Europe; now all I have to do is pick up a region-free player (which can be had for $100-$150).

So, TLDR- beautiful country with a lot of history and utterly charming people everywhere you go. Highly recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    Hey, congrats on the trip. I was in Europe most of June and absolutely loved it, Scotland is lovely, Italy is a delight, London is mildly obnoxious but has cool stuff.
    Thanks! Sounds like you had a hell of a trip as well. Were you part of a tour or did you go it alone?
    Last edited by Dolemite; 13 Aug 2019 at 04:42 PM.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

3. BTW, I'll post some pics once I've gone through/edited them all, but in the meantime this is legit what a pack of cigarettes looks like in Ireland:

Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

lol

5. Oh that's nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

6. lol yeah I've been smoking cigarettes like crazy here, everyone does it and they are not frowned upon except for those weird ass pictures on the boxes. I won't have any need to pick it up when I'm back in the States, but it's fun while I'm here.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
    So, TLDR- beautiful country with a lot of history and utterly charming people everywhere you go. Highly recommended.
    Yeah, so being in Austria has me seriously worried for the state of the the USA. I'm not saying everything is perfect here in Vienna - it's certainly not - but wow. Public transportation everywhere. Protected wilderness areas even within city limits, controlled food and housing prices, fair wages for most workers, nationalized healthcare, etc etc etc. The stress level here is noticeably low, people don't seem to be in this rushed funk all the time. I don't think I've heard a single car horn honk in a traffic jam the whole time I've been here. Independent businesses are flourishing everywhere. People are generally helpful, friendly, and decent. Infrastructure is clearly taken care of: streets are clean, buildings and subways are kept up and don't reek. I mean there's piss alleys everywhere but for a city this size, it's minimal. Trash cans are everywhere and are emptied regularly.

Personal politics aside, I do not see how our current environment in America is sustainable. People are becoming more and more miserable, and things are not getting better economically. I don't want to defect to Austria, I want my home in California to flourish. But I don't see that happening in my lifetime. Perhaps the most depressing thing about this study abroad trip is realizing America is truly on its way to third world status.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

7. Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    Yeah, so being in Austria has me seriously worried for the state of the the USA. I'm not saying everything is perfect here in Vienna - it's certainly not - but wow. Public transportation everywhere. Protected wilderness areas even within city limits, controlled food and housing prices, fair wages for most workers, nationalized healthcare, etc etc etc. The stress level here is noticeably low, people don't seem to be in this rushed funk all the time. I don't think I've heard a single car horn honk in a traffic jam the whole time I've been here. Independent businesses are flourishing everywhere. People are generally helpful, friendly, and decent. Infrastructure is clearly taken care of: streets are clean, buildings and subways are kept up and don't reek. I mean there's piss alleys everywhere but for a city this size, it's minimal. Trash cans are everywhere and are emptied regularly.

Personal politics aside, I do not see how our current environment in America is sustainable. People are becoming more and more miserable, and things are not getting better economically. I don't want to defect to Austria, I want my home in California to flourish. But I don't see that happening in my lifetime. Perhaps the most depressing thing about this study abroad trip is realizing America is truly on its way to third world status.
    This is exactly what I saw in Ireland, and this is exactly what I thought while I was looking at it. The U.S. is not the greatest country in the world anymore. In fact, we're being left in the dust in many ways.

All while I was in Ireland - I did a tour of multiple cities and towns, big and small, and marveled at how pristine and well-maintained each one was - I was picturing Irish tourists visiting the States and probably wondering why they came to this festering cesspool of pothole-encrusted, garbage-strewn roadways packed with sweaty slobs driving beat-up Chevys and leaning on their horns and cursing non-stop while on the way home with a big load of frozen pizzas they got on sale at Walmart.

In contrast, as you said, I don't think cars in Ireland even HAVE horns. We were in a HUGE tour bus - the driver operated this thing through the at-times tiny streets like a surgeon with a scalpel - and we ran into several instances where we had a tight turn with cars coming the other way. And these cars would actually STOP and POLITELY BACK UP or MOVE INTO THE SHOULDER so the bus could make the turn, and then give the bus driver a friendly wave as we passed by. And this happened EVERY SINGLE TIME. In the States, we all know what would have happened...the drivers would have aggressively stood their ground or even advanced while honking non-stop and shit would be at a standstill. I was shocked by how absolutely civil every Irish driver was.

I mean, I'm sure Europe is loaded with their own shitty areas/people, but I looked hard and didn't see any. One night my girlfriend spilled some fish oil on some of her clothes (don't ask) and needed to do some laundry, and since were were leaving for the next town in the morning the only option was a 24-hour outdoor self-serve launderette (yes, they actually have these) in the parking lot of a gas station late at night. So we're sitting there on a bench drinking coffee and I'm looking around the parking lot, and it's SPOTLESS. Every inch literally looked like it had been swept and power-washed moments before (the same went for the surrounding neighborhood). Meanwhile I was on edge because we're sitting alone in the middle of parking lot at night and we had zero issues except for maybe a guy who I at first thought would be a problem (because he approached us with one hand behind his back) but ended up just being an extremely polite chap who just looking for his lost house keys.

*sigh*
    Last edited by Dolemite; 18 Aug 2019 at 07:04 PM.

I've never received a clear answer on it but while in germany, there were shack and tent cities in patches in eye shot of train tales. I never could get anyone to tell me what they were. I suspect poor people. Maybe refugees but this was 2010 I think.

I also remember Hamburg having some busted the fuck houses that were bad enough I gave a second thought to where I was.

England was not pristine. Everything felt very lived in. I enjoyed that more than Germany. Used but loved. Germany felt like there was a touch of needless autism.

9. What's a train tale?

Autocorrect of train rails