Page 14 of 707 FirstFirst ... 1012131415161828 ... LastLast

Thread: Official PlayStation 3 Thread

1. It's pretty good but something feels off. I think I'm getting that feeling because the environments are more natural in their ledges with a lot more rounded edges than most most games, yet Drake is animated as though he's always on a flat surface. Also doesn't help that he's totally bland and forgettable as a character, which combined with other things (like how the guns seem rather muted) makes it lack a good punch.

Beautiful forest, in any case. The tall grass looks weird and videogamey since it has no shadow while almost everything else does, but that's just nitpicking since the rest of it is done so well. I <3 the water effects.

2. Thanks for fucking up the demo for everyone outside of NA Sony

3. Quote Originally Posted by J2d View Post
    Thanks for fucking up the demo for everyone outside of NA Sony
    Sony will stop at nothing to prove how much they hate Europe.

Fun demo. Nothing earth-shattering, but I'll probably pick this up.

4. Yea they are like a mini Nintendo these days. In the beginning of the PS3's life I thought they just wanted to space things out a little bit but every PSN update and big game release is take it up the ass day apparently.

5. Quote Originally Posted by J2d View Post
    Thanks for fucking up the demo for everyone outside of NA Sony
    its not acctually a REGION BLOCK like kotaku is reporting. The problem is is how the game was coded. The game looks for the US, Japanese, European sections of the cutscenes and menus depending on where the system came from. When Japanese or Euro players play it, the game searches, only finds the US pieces and then asks for the disc (which duh doesnt have)

Like the R&C demo, europeans could play it, but there would be no cutscenes, cause they werent IN the demo.

Both regions are getting their own demos, it was just only tested on US systems before it went out, so then we discovered this.
    b_ri on Twitch, Games Beaten in 2020 (3): Pokemon Sword (Sw), Detroit: Becoming Human (PS4), Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (PS4),

6. Just played through the demo and I can now be glad I don't have to worry about picking this up any time soon. The graphics are great, but the gameplay feels a little wonky to me, especially the gun fights. I'd pop a guy in the head and he would just walk it off, and the enemy hit animations made it a pain to get a few quick shots off. The hit boxes seem off when they are in the animation as well. Might be a good pickup when it is cheap and there is nothing else out.

WTF Sony? All these "big" games they were showing a while back that made me want a PS3 are turning out to be very bland or are also coming out on the 360.

7. I also just finished playing through the demo, and I wasn't very impressed. The game is fucking beautiful, easily the best looking game on PS3 (and maybe 360), but the gameplay just didn't feel right.

The action seemed to suffer from identity crisis, not knowing whether it wanted to be a fast paced action game or a methodical shooter. And for directly ripping the whole taking cover style gameplay from Gears of War not only did they not improve upon it, but it's actually worse. Transitioning from cover to cover is non existent, which was one of the things that made the "stop and pop" gameplay so smooth and fun in GoW. Plus there is little to no "stick" area for taking cover, which also takes away from how smooth that type of gameplay can be. The broken melee system didn't help either, unless I'm missing something they forgot to include the "brutal combo" into the game. Hopefully this will be fixed in the retail version. On a positive note switching the side you shoot from is really cool, and could add a cool dynamic to the game.

Then there is the AI, and B-Ri I'm not sure what game you are playing, but I played through on hard, and the AI just wasn't smart at all. They would charge at me while shooting so I could kill them (I suppose you could call that flanking, but it wasn't at all). Or they would stand still, pop out of cover, go back in, and come out in an extremely predictable fashion. Granted the game isn't supposed to have revolutionary AI, it isn't impressive in the least.

I'm going to be playing through the demo once more to give the game another shot, but so this game is far from a GOTY contender as B-Ri called it.

edit: Before B-Ri comes in here and gets his panties in a bunch I'd just like to say by no means is this a bad game. It's actually a solid game, but it's not the greatest thing since sliced bread. With so many games being released during this holiday season the demo has convinced me to hold off on this one until the dry gaming season where there aren't so many high profile releases.
    Last edited by Brand X; 09 Nov 2007 at 06:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BerringerX
    I am pretty sure one of the reasons Jesus died is so we could enjoy delicious chicken and waffle fries seven days a week.
    Eat a bag of dicks.

8. My problem with the gunplay is that the game relies on what the camera shows, not where you actually are and what you're pointing at. If you're standing behind a wall near the edge and then aim your gun, when the camera zooms in the wall "moves" off to the side due to the POV. Even though you're still aiming directly at a wall and should be shooting a couple feet into it, the game instead allows you to fire past the wall (and receive damage in the same way). This allows you to bypass things like physics in order to create a cover system that doesn't actually require you to be next to or even near anything.

On the other hand, since the intended cover system offers so little defense anytime that you're on the offensive, this actually ends up being a much better alternative since you can use a doorway an entire room away for the stop-and-pop. Swapping back and forth between the side you're aiming from also lets you do this.

As a nitpick, it would also be nice if Drake at least somewhat aimed towards the targeting reticule. I also wish there was some kind of a stealth attack, as I was able to sneak up on enemies but once you attack them the full alert goes off so there really wasn't any point for me to do so. Oh well, no biggie.

I played through again earlier and found his animations didn't bug me as much this time; they might've last time because it was late and I wanted to go to bed.

9. First of all, i was never going to come in here with panties in a bunch, i know you guys are overcritical of games on any system called "Play Station" but it just amazes me how little insignificant or absolutely nothing happends and you can say "ill skip this"

Quote Originally Posted by Brand X View Post
    Iripping the whole taking cover style gameplay from Gears of War not only did they not improve upon it, but it's actually worse. Transitioning from cover to cover is non existent, which was one of the things that made the "stop and pop" gameplay so smooth and fun in GoW.
    uhhhi was popping from cover to cover with absolutely no problem, its just like in gears.

Plus there is little to no "stick" area for taking cover, which also takes away from how smooth that type of gameplay can be.
    elaborate cause i have no idea what your talking about

The broken melee system didn't help either, unless I'm missing something they forgot to include the "brutal combo" into the game.
    yes something going wrong and triangle isnt registering. Even then melee attacks are context sensistive, melee a guy in open land then melee him next to an edge, or next to a wall

Then there is the AI, and B-Ri I'm not sure what game you are playing, but I played through on hard, and the AI just wasn't smart at all. They would charge at me while shooting so I could kill them (I suppose you could call that flanking, but it wasn't at all). Or they would stand still, pop out of cover, go back in, and come out in an extremely predictable fashion. Granted the game isn't supposed to have revolutionary AI, it isn't impressive in the least.
    which is absolutely NO DIFFERENT then gears. The enemies will come at you from all sides and flank you, and sure sometimes theyll be pretty predictable but on hard it was a fun and welcomed challenge. They used grenades to fish me out of areas they couldnt get me from, and they all flanked you.
    [/quote]

edit: Before B-Ri comes in here and gets his panties in a bunch I'd just like to say by no means is this a bad game. It's actually a solid game, but it's not the greatest thing since sliced bread. With so many games being released during this holiday season the demo has convinced me to hold off on this one until the dry gaming season where there aren't so many high profile releases.
    the only things left that have anything on this game is Mass Effect. This is going to be a solid and fun game, some of you just cant stop nitpicking to talk yourselves into thing its "zomg ps3 it suckzzz" (and its not just you)

The game was intuitive the second i jumped in and played great (and im suprised NO ONE was bitching about the sticks, although im sure this reminder will have cap going off)

If you're standing behind a wall near the edge and then aim your gun, when the camera zooms in the wall "moves" off to the side due to the POV. Even though you're still aiming directly at a wall and should be shooting a couple feet into it, the game instead allows you to fire past the wall (and receive damage in the same way). This allows you to bypass things like physics in order to create a cover system that doesn't actually require you to be next to or even near anything.
    are you saying that the game is allowing you to shoot through the wall and is glitchy cause you cana nd are taking damage or?

I'd pop a guy in the head and he would just walk it off, and the enemy hit animations made it a pain to get a few quick shots off. The hit boxes seem off when they are in the animation as well. Might be a good pickup when it is cheap and there is nothing else out.
    no you just missed, ive killed MANY of them in my playthroughs with headshots. The animations are a lot more believeable, when you miss theyll react, when they get hit they react, not like the locust in gears what just sit there and take bullets like they dont feel it. I
    Last edited by B-Ri; 09 Nov 2007 at 06:39 PM.
    b_ri on Twitch, Games Beaten in 2020 (3): Pokemon Sword (Sw), Detroit: Becoming Human (PS4), Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (PS4),

10. Quote Originally Posted by B-Ri View Post
    uhhhi was popping from cover to cover with absolutely no problem, its just like in gears.
    Absolutely not. I managed smooth cover to cover movement a few times, but it's not "just like in gears." Not even close. Much harder to stick to things, much harder to find your next spot, and much harder to get there smoothly.

And the sticks aren't worth talking about. Everyone knows the PS sticks suck, but hey, you work with what you've got.

I liked the demo, but there's a lot to criticize.

Quote Originally Posted by B-Ri View Post
    no you just missed, ive killed MANY of them in my playthroughs with headshots.
    Do they pay you to run damage control or what? I've registered headshots just as many times as I didn't for the exact same shots. This isn't an isolated thing.