Page 1 of 8 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Unsung Story: Tale of the Guardians

Unsung Story: Tale of the Guardians

Quote Originally Posted by IGN
    Digital tabletop developer Playdek announced a collaboration with legendary designer Yasumi Matsuno to create a fantasy game, called Untold Story: Tale of the Guardians.

Matsuno will be creating a medieval fantasy setting, called Rasfalia, a world of knights, wizards, archers and magical creatures which Playdek can develop games for.

Untold Story: Tale of the Guardians is a tactics style game that Matsuno will oversee in the future. A prequel card battle game set in the same universe, designed by French board game designer Christophe Boelinger, will be released in 2014. The card battle game will introduce Rasfalia and can be played online between two players.

Most of Playdek's prior games are based on existing licenses, this will be one of their first new titles.

Matsuno is the designer of Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together, Final Fantasy Tactics, Vagrant Story and contributed to Final Fantasy XII.
    Link and More detail from Eurogamer

All that remains between this and a "day one" is the platform choice.

2. It's probably an iOS game.

Frankly that would work fine for a SRPG as long as they don't do anything stupid like make it F2P or charge $40.

4. I'd pay $40 for a quality (TO/FFT) iOS game.

I probably would too, but I would hate the precedent it would set for all the other shit that's nowhere near that level.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    I'd pay $40 for a quality (TO/FFT) iOS game.
    Funny you mention this, because War of Lions is on iOS (with the slowdown issue fixed) for $13, and gamers scream that it's highway robbery. That no game on iOS "deserves" to be more than $3 max.

(which, funnier, means you'll never get a new FFT-scale game on iOS if people just wanna shit all over paying a fair price for a great game Because iPhone.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.

7. I'm totally fine with people who want to pretend smartphones are a gaming platform being denied any worthwhile games.

Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    I like doing stuff with animals and kids

Unsung Story: Tale of the Guardians by Yasumi Matsuno - now on Kickstarter

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-the-guardians

Unsung Story: Tale of the Guardians is the spiritual successor in a storied line of epic tactical RPGs designed by Yasumi Matsuno. Playdek is excited to be partnering with one of the most legendary game designers, as well as you the fans, to bring out a refreshing, immersive new take on the tactics genre.

In the hands of the veteran tactical RPG master himself, Unsung Story will re-imagine a classic game genre, as Yasumi Matsuno weaves together one of the complex and rich game worlds that he is known for, with inspiring class based tactics game play.
    Battles take place on a 3-D landscape, with an immersive player controlled camera, while episode and scene selection is made through a detailed 3-D world map. Units that you command are profession based, and within each profession are multiple classes.

Each class within a profession has certain characteristics, and you can change classes within a profession to suit your tactical needs! The world is also rich with magical creatures that are not only foes on the battlefield, but under certain conditions can be commanded by you as well!

The character professions, replete with individual classes, provide you with deep game mechanics that you can mold to your individual play style, and adapt to the scenario at hand. You will build your front and backlines by combing these classes into various groups or parties, based on the needs of the battlefield.
    I didn't need my money anyway.

10. Nothing but white boys talking in the video. I wonder how much of this will be Matsuno and how much will be these playdek guys.

Also, I'm not seeing anything about advancement? Is there EXP? The game shifts from one group to another, retelling multiple POV for a conflict, so I wouldn't be too terribly surprised if there wasn't. Or is it more a hard strategy game like Military Madness, but with the ability to customize your forces somewhat by being able to select from a group of classes under each profession category?
    Last edited by alan_fatima; 14 Jan 2014 at 02:26 PM.