Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: All-Star Battle - Coming to the US!

1. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: All-Star Battle - Coming to the US!

OH MAN

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/09/19...est-next-year/

Namco Bandai confirmed JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure: All-Star Battle will be released in North America in 2014. CyberConnect2 known for their work on .hack and the Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm series developed the PlayStation 3 fighting game, which covers all eight arcs of the JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure manga.
    I love anything having to do with this crazy series. I wasn't expecting this to ever happen!

2. Fuck. Yes.

3. My fondest wish to have a black and white chihuahua face-hump a dude on a horse will finally come to fruition.

4. The last 8-4 podcast mentioned that this was complete garbage. Hopefully it's not the case.

5. I have no idea who those people are.

In terms of a fighting game, it's average at best. Everyone moves incredibly slowly and there's a bad balance in terms of damage and life, which means that most rounds tend to go for their full 99 seconds. Most every combo ends up with the person falling on his ass, and there's no way to safe fall or expedite getting back up. A Week One patch eliminated a bunch of infinites, which is necessary for online balance but also made some characters near useless (Johnny) and slowed the pace of the game down even more.

The Campaign Mode is a particularly egregious cash grab too. Just be glad that the backlash was so great that they eventually changed the default recharge time to 5 minutes when it was originally intended to be 20 after the launch week.

In terms of a Jojo's game, it's incredible. The graphic style is spot on, the backgrounds (and various related stage hazards), as lamentably few that there are, are pulled straight from the manga, and there's tons of cameos everywhere as you go through the menus. On that subject, the presentation of the menus and game interface is good, and there's cute things to do like using its posing viewer to tweak the spoken lines and visual onomatopoeia, but then the Story Mode padding is completely bare bones text on a static graphic.

JP Amazon reviews and the second week sales (down 90%+ from launch week) are a pretty accurate reflection of the game's quality. Unless future patches manage to make substantial improvements, this game might end up being a case where it's cheaper to buy a used Japanese version than the US version.

7. In terms of a Jojo's game, it's incredible.
    This is really what I'm after. I have no faith in CyberConnect2 doing a "quality" game, just one that works well in its own janky way.

8. Quote Originally Posted by MechDeus View Post
    I have no idea who those people are.
    A bunch of old EGM guys (Mark MacDonald, etc). They're now one of the big localizers for Japanese games for the U.S. Most recent games are MGS: Revengence, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, and Fire Emblem Awakening. They're also responsible for the Mighty Number 9 kickstarter effort.

Edit: Pretty much what dog$ posted.

9. Jojo was a man who thought he was a loner.

10. Quote Originally Posted by MechDeus View Post
    This is really what I'm after. I have no faith in CyberConnect2 doing a "quality" game, just one that works well in its own janky way.
    Didn't CC2 make SF4?