Page 4 of 811 FirstFirst ... 23456818 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Nintendo 3DS, 3DS XL, 2DS, "New" 3DS, & "New" 2DS XL Thread.

1. I hate rhetorical questions, especially stupid ones.

2. Even the ones that help illustrate a point? In this case: that Yoshi's "OMG they don't know tech piracy on the High Sea" is completely irrelevant considering how easy it is easy to steal on the DS and how it STILL trounces the shit out of its competition. Piracy is an issue, but it doesn't seem to affect games that sell well from selling well, and the only ones who would argue otherwise are Yoshi when it concerns a game/dev/platform he champions, or devs to excuse piss poor sales.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.

Yoshi brought up technology and ease of piracy.

You're the one who is now trying to start a sales discussion.

These are two different topics.

4. Hero, you really gonna bring up sales whining and then dismiss piracy as a valid excuse for poor sells? Like how 90% of the user base of World of Goo didn't buy the game?

5. Quote Originally Posted by Hero View Post
    PSP devs whine the lack of sales is due to piracy.
    Problem is, this is often an argument used by companies to cover up low sales, there's no way to prove that all or most of the people that pirated a game were going to buy it. I usually pirate games I was never going to buy, while still purchasing the ones I actually want. According to companies that means they lost money when in fact they would be receiving the same amount regardless from me. Yes, it's still lost sales overall, but even a rough estimate as to how much is 100% making shit up.

Now, if you really wanted to argue the point you could look at what actually sells on the Wii/DS and then compare that to their primary audience and the tech savvy of those people, then do the same for the PSP. Factor in a comparision of the sizes of the install bases, and it's a really one-sided argument as to why PSP sales would be low and piracy higher. On top of that and adding to what Yoshi was discussing, the ability to pirate while never purchasing anything - like on the PSP and unlike the DS - makes the prospect much more attractive to a wider audience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunlap
    Hero, you really gonna bring up sales whining and then dismiss piracy as a valid excuse for poor sells? Like how 90% of the user base of World of Goo didn't buy the game?
    I love it when people think DRM has any effect on if something will get pirated.

6. Quote Originally Posted by dog$ View Post
    Yoshi brought up technology and ease of piracy.
    His inclusion of it seemed to be a diss on the tech itself - I was just making an argument that easy-to-pirate does not equate to inferiority. Both DS and PSP are easy to steal from, yet one platform does quite well for itself and the other doesn't. So nonsensical "lawl Nintendo doesn't do technology" seems like his was trying to reconcile tech he likes (3D) with a company and product line he doesn't.

Dunlap - 90% on World of Goo would speak volumes for the hypocrisy of niche championing 'indie' and by the same stroke, not willing to support it with their wallet. That doesn't mean all games have a 90% piracy rate, nor does that mean 100% of those 90% were sales lost (as Mech said). Do I think that makes piracy more right? No - but my original intent was that, even if its easy to pirate doesn't mean it won't sell well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hero View Post
    I was just making an argument that easy-to-pirate does not equate to inferiority.
    No, you weren't.
    my original intent was that, even if its easy to pirate doesn't mean it won't sell well.
    This you were doing, yes.

Again: Yoshi was talking about technology. You bring up sales.

You think a Nintendo product will sell well? OK, cool.

8. The software install makes sense considering that they wanted to fix the problem of Sleep mode transfer functionality that was introduced in DS games. Originally, you couldn't take advantage of the Sleep mode transfer stuff found in Nintendogs, The World Ends with You, and Dragon Quest IX unless other people had their systems in Sleep mode with those respective games in the system. Now, you can install up to (let's say) six games, and all those games will be emitting data in Sleep mode, so the chances of you getting stuff from another 3DS user increase.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    Wow. That's awesome from a not-having-to-take-multiple-games standpoint, but piracy is going to go wild, since Nintendo is totally clueless in terms of technology.
    There probably will be a limit as to how many games you can save in the system at one time.
    R.I.P. Paragon Studios

9. Custom Firmware FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    NGPC was a Game Boy Color with better controls and two or three pieces of worthwhile software, only one of which was better than Super Mario Bros. DX
    Card Fighter's Clash and Match of the Millenium were both much, much better than SMB DX. At the end there was also CFC2, but that never made it out here =[
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery