Page 1438 of 1626 FirstFirst ... 142414341436143714381439144014421452 ... LastLast
Results 14,371 to 14,380 of 16256

Thread: The "I Just Watched..." Thread

Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    Happy to see others getting on the laserdisc bandwagon, brings a tear to my eye.
    We are legion.

2. It brings a tear to my eye, too.

3. Bandwagon schmandwagon.

I just watched a video upscaler I hoped to get for about $80 sell for closer to $800.
    WTF is wrong with people.
    I also just looked at Craigslist for CRTs. Just about every listing is some junk Symphonic, RCA, or store brand that would rot on the curb for free if you set it there- being listed for $100+ and "great for retro gamers!"
    WTF is wrong with people.

What scaler?

5. Jesus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

Uh... yeah, I can see how that went for that much. Lumagens are usually in a whole different league than the peasant stuff that I use. Still, it's ebay and you can get lucky sometimes. FWIW the scaler I'm using now cost $500 on the bay, it's a DVDO Iscan Duo. I've been through a bunch of video processors and that Duo was pretty much the best one that I could afford without being stupid lucky. I have some old not quite as good shit I've been meaning to sell if you are interested.

An actual good CRT is still better than most scaler setups.

7. I occasionally see widescreen CRTs is sitting on the sidewalk in the Bay Area (huge adoption of LD and high end AV stuff in the 90s out here, the whole reason I'm in this hobby) , I haven't been lucky enough to swing back for one yet.

How do those work anyway? Do they crop the image down or do they only work with anamorphic media? Both I guess?

You know SSJN I've got a pretty good thread I started back in 2015 if you want to get in on that.
    Last edited by YellerDog; 15 Sep 2017 at 01:25 PM.

8. 1. The Spoilers (1942): John Wayne, Marlene Dietrich, and Randolph Scott (RANDOLPH SCOTT!). I've always been more of a fan of The Duke when he's not a cowboy. Well, he's a gold mine owner in Alaska in this one. But still dresses and acts like a cowboy. Really good film! I guess the big fight at the end is kind of renown, though I'd not heard of it before I watched the movie and looked at Wiki. There's a trope in these old films that's kind of rapey. Woman wants nothing to do with a guy, guy forces a kiss on her, her knees buckle and she's in love. There's a pretty awesome scene in this that doesn't play out as I expected it to. Also: John Wayne in blackface.

2. The Day of the Jackal (1973): Starring a bunch of people I've never heard of before. I was excited for this one as it was one of two kitschy MCA DISCOVISION discs I picked up. I'd not scene that packaging before. Sadly, I only got to see 20 minutes of it before it died. All three discs are fairly rotten.

3. Cyborg (1989): Jean-Claude Van Damme. Yep, another "I need to get to 100" pick. This shit is soooo cheesy. I say that bearing in mind that when I was 13 I thought it was pretty frickin' awesome. But no. It's cheesy. REAL CHEESE. I like that the stop motion clay or whatever media Cyborg looks nothing like the actress portraying her when the wig comes off. Someone was clearly influenced by Terminator, but couldn't do nearly as good a job five years later. And Terminator's stop motion wasn't that hot to begin with. So far my favorite part has been the trailer that was shown before the movie started.

This is so 80's I wanna roll it up, slather it in oil, and fuck it.

9. I'm gonna get in on this numbering action, I need some motivation to watch some movies.

1) Paris, Texas (1984) - Real slow burn, very rewarding. Harry Dean Stanton's best performance. He spends the first half of the movie completely mute and shell shocked from wandering the desert, and gradually gets himself together. The monologue he finally delivers at the end is completely transfixing.