Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Previously Known As...

1. Previously Known As...

Okay, so I've added a profile spot for listing people's old nicknames for when they decide to use a new nickname, thus potentially confusing other TNL members who then have no clue who the hell they are. If a user has previous nicknames, they will appear on their profile page in the "About Me" section.

However, I have made this option editable by mods only, so that people don't get cute and just put in nonsense, thus making the whole point of this option moot. So, from now on, hopefully any mod making a name change will also put the old nickname into this slot while doing so. And, if you know of somebody who changed their display name in the past, let me know here and I'll get their old nickname entered into their profile.

If you want an example of this, you can go check out Proto Man's profile.
    Last edited by mollipen; 13 Oct 2009 at 02:41 AM.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

2. Very cool. It would be even nicer if it was in some kind of drop-down display under our names when we post (like XBL gamertags), though. (I was LordPerrin back in the day btw.)

Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    I like doing stuff with animals and kids

3. Couldn't we just update the Wiki?

4. Wiki IYB.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Couldn't we just update the Wiki?
    Well, I would give a few arguments as to why it's better to do it straight on the forums.

First, the box for adding an old nickname to the "Previously known as" field is on the exact same user editing screen that you'd need to access to give a person their new name in the first place; so, it would literally take an extra two seconds to do both at the same time. Versus going to the wiki, finding a person's page, and then editing that page.

As well, let's be honest: the percentage of people who use the Wiki is probably pretty small compared to forum members. You'd have to have people to got a totally separate site (the wiki) just to find out info that is easily added to a person's profile, and we'd have to create new user pages for some users simply to list the info of their name change.

I think it makes way more sense to have it as part of user profiles here, and the addition has very little impact on the overall workings of the board (being that it's just two simple lines added to a profile and that's it).

But, if there's disagreement about it, I can certainly remove it.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Couldn't we just update the Wiki?
    Somebody should do that.

7. Someone really should.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

8. Someone should update the wiki.

9. ouroboros.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

10. Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    ouroboros.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    R.I.P. Paragon Studios