Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 360HD-DVD vs. Standalone HD-DVD

1. 360HD-DVD vs. Standalone HD-DVD

I now want a HD DVD player.
    Would I be missing out if I got the 360 add-on as opposed to a $500 player?

2. Yes. You can't get the new sound encodings like Dolby True HD and DTS-HD out of the 360. If you have an audio system that would benefit from these it is a very big deal, but not many people do.

3. how many movies support DTS HD?
    I love DTS. I think the bottom end is much more punchy than Dolby. However, I've noticed very few normal DVDs have DTS as an option.
    If DTS-HD continues that trend then I guess I'd have no use for it.

4. Quote Originally Posted by JesusC View Post
    how many movies support DTS HD?
    I love DTS. I think the bottom end is much more punchy than Dolby. However, I've noticed very few normal DVDs have DTS as an option.
    If DTS-HD continues that trend then I guess I'd have no use for it.
    All HD-DVD/BluRay disks will (eventually) have these new audio formats on the disk just like all DVDs currently have Dolby Digital or DTS. I don't know what the current situation is exactly since I don't have an HD movie player yet, but I think it's on all the disks already. These formats need the bandwidth of an HDMI audio connection, 360 doesn't have one, so it will probably only support a downmix to typical DD or DTS.

5. If HD-DVD tanks though, your only out $200 as opposed to $500.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Wildkat View Post
    If HD-DVD tanks though, your only out $200 as opposed to $500.
    True, but if it tanks you probably lose most $$ in all the movies you bought.

7. why? will the bluray police come to my house and confiscate my hd dvds?

8. I'm waiting for HD-DVD/Bluray combo players to become more accessible before I buy anything, personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    K3V is awesome!

9. true that, but for the <$50 I'd lose if i don't like the add on, it's worth a try for me. I've been at AVS forums and most people there seem to like it.
    Bit disappointed about having to use VGA to upconvert standard DVDs though.

10. Quote Originally Posted by K3V View Post
    I'm waiting for HD-DVD/Bluray combo players to become more accessible before I buy anything, personally.
    problem with the combo players, at least the LG one, is they dont support iHD, so with HD-DVDs itll just go straight to the movies, no menus or extras or anything.