Page 56 of 74 FirstFirst ... 425254555657586070 ... LastLast

Thread: NES Classic Edition

1. Like the Midas touch but bad

2. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    I watched a video of someone who seemed to know what they were doing in the game and it does look like Nintendo tried to do some fencing type stuff with the combat in terms of timing and movement. How that turns into Dark Souls, I don't know. I think these days everything turns into Dark Souls.
    The comparisons I've seen drawn are 1) difficult combat with 2) dire consequences for failure (in Zelda 2 you lose all XP if you run out of lives, etc.) and 3) a world direction that really doesn't care if you know what to do or not.

I mean honestly, I can see it, but also appreciate 2 more now just because it's a tougher Zelda game that tried to advance the series by fussing with basically everything that was in the first and has a quality end result.

Ocarina bothers me because it's the prototype for the 'puzzelda' formula. Strip away any sense of exploration and discovering by gating sections of the world, telegraphing secrets in the most obvious way, and treating items as keys to access puzzle solutions/new areas than a thing that can used to solve problems in a general sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.

3. Quote Originally Posted by bbobb View Post
    Your opinion is wrong.
    Oh come on man, I know the game wasn't that awesome but I enjoyed it enough to have beaten it multiple times over the years. You used to be such a positive person when we 1st met in IRC but now it seems like you've become as grouchy as Yoshi over the years.
    6-6-98 - 6-6-18 Happy 20th Anniversary TNL

4. Quote Originally Posted by Hero View Post
    Ocarina bothers me because it's the prototype for the 'puzzelda' formula. Strip away any sense of exploration and discovering by gating sections of the world, telegraphing secrets in the most obvious way, and treating items as keys to access puzzle solutions/new areas than a thing that can used to solve problems in a general sense.
    True, but wouldn't it be fair to say LttP inaugurated that formula? Ocarina was just the first to reiterate it, which is what every Zelda has done since until now from what I gather.

5. Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    True, but wouldn't it be fair to say LttP inaugurated that formula? Ocarina was just the first to reiterate it, which is what every Zelda has done since until now from what I gather.
    I suppose, but I always felt like LttP was at least a little less strict in the formula. You got some key items in caves, and some bosses were beaten with items not even found in its own dungeon. Or, the first dungeon had the bow which made that boss much easier, but you weren't required to use it. And while some sections of the map were completely inaccessible without the right item, a good large chunk was from the start.

It's true that it began some of these bad habits but they weren't adhering to it like dogma, yet. OoT was the first one in my eyes where there was so little to do, outside playing it the way Nintendo wanted you to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.

6. Link's Awakening did it too, maybe even more than LttP, though taking a chain chomp for a walk and platforming dungeons makes LA a sillier and less rote experience. [whisper]link to the past is the most boring zelda[/whisper]

7. Quote Originally Posted by BonusKun View Post
    Oh come on man, I know the game wasn't that awesome but I enjoyed it enough to have beaten it multiple times over the years. You used to be such a positive person when we 1st met in IRC but now it seems like you've become as grouchy as Yoshi over the years.
    I didn't say it was a bad game, I like it as well. But one of the best playing 2d action games of all time? Not even close.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

8. Quote Originally Posted by bbobb View Post
    I didn't say it was a bad game, I like it as well. But one of the best playing 2d action games of all time? Not even close.
    I look at it as different strokes for different folks. To him it probably came out at the right time for him to seriously enjoy it. I won't knock him for that but yeah I do agree I've played some better games over the years. All I remember back from all the times I beat it was how brutal it was in some places.

@Finch : Link's Awakening DX is a fucking Masterpiece.

9. Has there been a 16-bittified Link's Awakening remake yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

10. Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    Has there been a 16-bittified Link's Awakening remake yet?
    Sadly no.