Page 1 of 258 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Car Thread :: Vol 2 :: Now with More Bikes!

1. Official Car Thread :: Vol 2 :: Now with More Bikes!

New thread! The old one was close to 1000 posts, my #1 thread ever made.

Yesterday I went to the Bay Area Rotorfest held on Treasure Island. It was a great time. Tons of rotorys came out from a sweet old RX2 to my RX8. I got to meet a lot of the local RX7 guys and see some really cool cars. I was drooling over FD's all day. The FCs had the best turnout though. Pretty sure one of them blew a seal revving the engine at a couple of Z06 Callaway supercharged Vettes that pulled up. When he left a huge cloud of white smoke was spewing out. I'll get on with the pics.

I didn't take any of these, I grabbed them from the other RX8 guys who posted them at rx8club

overhead view. This was taken early, a lot more cars showed up

FD with an LS1 conversion

FD of the show

FDs!

FCs!

RX8s! I'm the grey one on the very end that can barely be seen.

Turbo'd 8. Too bad the engine cover is still on

RX2 mid restoration! It was in great condition, just needs a real coat of paint and it will look amazing.

The Bay Area 8's. I'm second from the left in the row of cars
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1794.jpg 
Views:	1186 
Size:	236.1 KB 
ID:	26148   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1789.jpg 
Views:	1199 
Size:	272.3 KB 
ID:	26149   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1783.jpg 
Views:	418 
Size:	190.1 KB 
ID:	26150   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1772-1.jpg 
Views:	1182 
Size:	187.2 KB 
ID:	26151  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1771.jpg 
Views:	420 
Size:	187.9 KB 
ID:	26152   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1764.jpg 
Views:	1029 
Size:	176.9 KB 
ID:	26153   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1757.jpg 
Views:	1042 
Size:	180.6 KB 
ID:	26154   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1815.jpg 
Views:	1035 
Size:	222.6 KB 
ID:	26155  

Name:	rotorfest1.JPG 
Views:	1061 
Size:	159.1 KB 
ID:	26156   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rotorfefst2.jpg 
Views:	1170 
Size:	163.9 KB 
ID:	26157   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rotorfest3.jpg 
Views:	1158 
Size:	169.3 KB 
ID:	26158   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rotorfest4.jpg 
Views:	1102 
Size:	175.4 KB 
ID:	26159  

Name:	rotorfest5.jpg 
Views:	1149 
Size:	157.9 KB 
ID:	26160  
    Last edited by stormy; 28 Jun 2008 at 05:18 PM.

2. Scissor doors! I know they're a bit cliche, but I always like 'em

Should've mentioned this meet in the last thread--I might've been interested. Did that LS1 converted RX go over well at the Rotorfest?

3. nice pics of the meet. I'd love to own an rx-7 but I don't think I'd be able to handle it. Were the female drivers hot?

btw, more pics of your car.

4. Yeah everyone there was cool with the LS1 conversion. Even the couple of rich boys out revving their tuner vettes that came by were welcomed. Everyone went over and they popped the hood and revved the engine. HUGE supercharger sitting right on top. It sounded loud and angry. It was pretty cool but a little over done with the body kits. It looked like a Vette with a rip-off Saleen rear end. Only a couple people were muttering insults behind their backs .

5. Quote Originally Posted by Klonoa View Post
    nice pics of the meet. I'd love to own an rx-7 but I don't think I'd be able to handle it. Were the female drivers hot?

btw, more pics of your car.
    I tried to ask about their experiences regarding reliability without sounding like a noob, and no one seemed too concerned about it. A couple of the more stock ones were daily drivers, but the higher power FDs are weekend cars. Most of them act like if you know what you're doing regarding the work and tuning then it will be fine.

No one was too impressed with the lineup of mostly stock 8's so there aren't many pics of my car from the meet. I lost my camera a month or two ago so I hardly have any myself .

I don't think any of the females there were drivers, but there were a lot of people sporting the JDM asian girlfriend mod in the passenger seat.

edit - here's one with my car. The one on the far right. I have a different grey than the others, mine's a nicer shade IMO

Name:	IMG_1802.jpg 
Views:	908 
Size:	197.2 KB 
ID:	26161  
    Last edited by stormy; 19 Aug 2007 at 04:14 PM.

6. That RX2 is cool. I'd love to see a restored one in person.

7. The Cosmo is cooler. Or the pick-up.

I didnt take any pics, but went to a car show this weekend. It was less classic and um, more eh, "urban" than what I usually go to, but there were a trio of Toyota Starlets with 13Bs stuffed into them, one of them turboed, caged and on a serious weight loss program.

Name:	ute_pic.jpg 
Views:	868 
Size:	72.7 KB 
ID:	26225  
    Last edited by Wildkat; 20 Aug 2007 at 04:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRyan View Post

Should've mentioned this meet in the last thread--I might've been interested. Did that LS1 converted RX go over well at the Rotorfest?
    At all the rotary gatherings I've been to we make lots of jokes at the piston-powered guys, but it's all in good fun. Especially since the LS1 FDs are a hell of a lot faster than pretty much all of the rotaries.

It ranks up there with the weird guy that keeps driving a Miata to the RX7 meets, asshole. Me.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMog View Post
    Screw being smart. This is TNL.

9. Quote Originally Posted by GohanX View Post
    At all the rotary gatherings I've been to we make lots of jokes at the piston-powered guys, but it's all in good fun. Especially since the LS1 FDs are a hell of a lot faster than pretty much all of the rotaries.

It ranks up there with the weird guy that keeps driving a Miata to the RX7 meets, asshole. Me.
    Any chance you're going to Sevenstock 10 this year?

10. Quote Originally Posted by MarkRyan View Post
    Scissor doors! I know they're a bit cliche, but I always like 'em
    The problem is, they really don't look good, or work well on the majority of the cars they are added to.

They don't close right 90% of the time because the door seals are designed to work with factory hinges in and out, and not up and down, so you have that awkward out-a couple inches-then up motion.

I saw them this weekend on everything. A Box Caprice, a Scion XB, a bunch of civics, a GMC Denali, several WRXs and even a neon .

Its also funny, when they do this and leave the factory paint on, as the bottom of the doors usually get little to no care on the quality of the paint job, so its orange peel and drip mark city.

That turboed RX8 also reminded me of another bit pet peave of mine.

Manufacturer stickers on street cars. Enough already. Your not sponsored. I dont care if you have a K&N airfilter or streetwires connecting your amp. It doesnt make you car faster, nor look good.

If the car has no interior and a cage inside, its acceptable, track car? No Problem. Anything else, stop it already.
    Last edited by Wildkat; 20 Aug 2007 at 04:59 PM.