Page 14 of 1015 FirstFirst ... 1012131415161828 ... LastLast

Thread: Election Thread 2016

1. Quote Originally Posted by squall_vb View Post
    Find any clinical definition of "retarded" which could reasonably apply to her, and I'll eat my words.
    I didn't mean clinically. Stop being retarded.

2. Quote Originally Posted by squall_vb View Post
    Find any clinical definition of "retarded" which could reasonably apply to her, and I'll eat my words.

Well, "no position" sounds apathetic, as if you not only don't know, but could care less. Saying "there are two valid sides to this complex issue, and I would need to speak more extensively with professionals in this realm in order to make a more informed decision, Wolf" would have been better, I think.
    Or actually having an opinion, barring that.

Either way, your continued defense of her is revealing.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    I didn't mean clinically. Stop being retarded.
    That wasn't very nice. If you meant as just a nasty way of saying "she's dumb," I have to disagree again. She's a governor. You don't stumble into that office by dumb luck. She may not be smooth with her words, but I can understand what she's saying. I may not always agree with her, but she didn't said anything in the Biden League of Retardation.
    Quote Originally Posted by C.S. Lewis
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

4. Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    Or actually having an opinion, barring that.

Either way, your continued defense of her is revealing.
    What does it reveal? That I don't want to throw tomatoes at her in the town square?

It's not exactly a black-and-white issue, either. And as the governor of Alaska, she most likely does not meet with the sorts of people that could best advise her on what to do about the automobile industry. It's not a question that's really relevant to her current job. Now, if she were to ever make another run for national office, I would certainly be more demanding in my expectations. But asking her about the auto industry is about as relevant as asking the governor of Florida what he thinks about human rights in Darfur.
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

5. Quote Originally Posted by squall_vb View Post
    That wasn't very nice. If you meant as just a nasty way of saying "she's dumb," I have to disagree again. She's a governor. You don't stumble into that office by dumb luck. She may not be smooth with her words, but I can understand what she's saying. I may not always agree with her, but she didn't said anything in the Biden League of Retardation.
    Dude, the more you talk, the less I respect you. Did you see her appearance on Larry King?

6. Quote Originally Posted by squall_vb View Post
    She's a governor. You don't stumble into that office by dumb luck.
    You don't have to take an IQ test either. She clearly has a kind of charisma, but that doesn't make her smart, knowledgable, nor does it mean she has a particularly strong capacity to understand the things she's supposed to make judgements about.

She may not be smooth with her words, but I can understand what she's saying.
    She's saying a whole lot of bullshit nothing, as if she wants us to be proud she even understood question.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Brisco Bold View Post
    Dude, the more you talk, the less I respect you. Did you see her appearance on Larry King?
    I don't watch Larry King. It's been a kiss-ass parade for years, so I don't bother.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    You don't have to take an IQ test either. She clearly has a kind of charisma, but that doesn't make her smart, knowledgable, nor does it mean she has a particularly strong capacity to understand the things she's supposed to make judgements about.
    And what sorts of things is she "supposed to make judgments about" that she doesn't? Because last time I checked, the automotive industry has fuck-all to do with Alaska. If she gears up for national office again (hopefully with more prep time), she needs to have an answer. But as Governor of Alaska? Not so much.

She can speak rather intelligently on energy, corruption, and other things that are important to Alaska. That's her job. Until General Motors becomes a major Alaskan employer, I don't care what her opinion is on the matter. I would much rather hear what Obama and Bush think needs to be done.

8. Quote Originally Posted by squall_vb View Post
    She's a governor. You don't stumble into that office by dumb luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    I like doing stuff with animals and kids

9. Quote Originally Posted by The Gas View Post
    I still don't think Bush is dumb. After all, he was, by any reasonable account, a rather successful governor of a large, populous state with a massive economy. He had a record of bipartisanship in a state in which such a quality is really unnecessary. His success there leads me to believe that he's no dummy.

I do, however, think he is easily manipulated. He surrounded himself with bad people as president, and lost control. Had Cheney and Rumsfeld never entered the picture, I truly think he wouldn't have been such a bad president. He had bad associations, which was just stupid of him. But I don't think he's a dumb person.

10. TDS is brutalizing Palin.