15. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

11 73.33%
  • Yes

3 20.00%
  • Lost them

1 6.67%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Did You Throw Out Your Old Gaming Boxes and Manuals?

I really wouldn't give that big of a shit if they would adjust the price accordingly.

No other market will let you remove shit from an item and still charge you the same price as that of a complete unit.

If anyone else did this shit, people would lose their mind. "sorry, we threw away all our TV boxes" "so do I get a discount?" "no, see, we only did that to save space. You still have to pay the standard price..."

2. And people think EA is the worst company.

3. I bought a preowned copy of Infamous 2 at Gamestop yesterday. As we've discussed before, I'm a bit of a pain in the ass when it comes to my games (original case, no greatest hits, manual, etc.). Mind you, I never make this the cashier's problem. I do the browsing on my own, and if what I see meets my criteria, I buy.

Anyways, I find a copy of Infamous 2 that fits the bill. I take it up the the cashier, and he proceeds to get ANOTHER CASE that DOES NOT HAVE THE MANUAL as if this is acceptable behavior. I spoke up and he fixed his terrible mistake. Nowadays, it's really quite necessary to watch those cashiers like a hawk.

Quote Originally Posted by Mzo View Post
    GS recently dumped the cases for the majority of their used DS games, making them all worthless.
    I noticed this. I asked the Gamestop dude about this (different store, different occasion), and he gave me the line about shelf space. We then bullshitted for a while about games and South Park and whatnot, and then brought the subject back to the used DS games. He admitted that used DS game sales have slumped since they went this route. This makes sense. People don't want to squint at a case of little game cards. And while I'm sure most people don't share my "original and complete case and manual sets" OCD, the Gamestop generic cases are the worst things ever drawn up by anybody, ever. And shit-canning the original plastic for Gamestop plastic? That's not very eco-friendly.

It really doesn't make sense on any level. Shelf space means visibility which means sales. Silly people.
    Quote Originally Posted by C.S. Lewis
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

Back in the day I never threw out SNES boxes, but many of them got messed up and I threw them out from damage. I still have several in storage. I really hate that I tossed an Earthbound box since it was so big.

These days, I only buy complete, although if a game is expensive/valuable I can live without a manual. The exception is cart games that aren't Genesis or Neo, I still buy loose and throw them into UGC's now, fuck buying complete SNES games now.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    I bought And while I'm sure most people don't share my "original and complete case and manual sets" OCD, the Gamestop generic cases are the worst things ever drawn up by anybody, ever. And shit-canning the original plastic for Gamestop plastic? That's not very eco-friendly.

It really doesn't make sense on any level. Shelf space means visibility which means sales. Silly people.
    Amazed by the number of PSP games in repacked Gamestop cases. A UMD is a bit more hardy than most optical formats but seems pointless to ditch a case.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    I bought a preowned copy of Infamous 2 at Gamestop yesterday. As we've discussed before, I'm a bit of a pain in the ass when it comes to my games (original case, no greatest hits, manual, etc.). Mind you, I never make this the cashier's problem. I do the browsing on my own, and if what I see meets my criteria, I buy.

Anyways, I find a copy of Infamous 2 that fits the bill. I take it up the the cashier, and he proceeds to get ANOTHER CASE that DOES NOT HAVE THE MANUAL as if this is acceptable behavior. I spoke up and he fixed his terrible mistake. Nowadays, it's really quite necessary to watch those cashiers like a hawk.
    I don't mean to be that guy, but how much did you save buying the used copy? Was it substantial? Is Infamous 2 discontinued new (I actually don't know)? I'm just wondering what the motivation was buying it used when in my experience the savings for new/current gen titles is so small and the potential problems so huge.

7. Unless there was a sale, he saved a whopping $5.
    That company is such shit. America loves them.

8. I threw out my old giant ass PC game boxes from before they came in DVD packaging. The others are mostly still around.

A lot of those towards the end of big boxed pc games were not much better than cereal boxes with a shitty photocopied manual and some cds in paper sleeves

10. Once games came in clamshells I kept everything. The boxes for cartidges were no good for storing the games, so they would get flattened and kept in a box with manuals or tossed.