Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: System Shock 3

1. This now has a publusher and a $12 million budget.

I've been following Otherside's progress on Ultima, and it's really been massive. They've overhauled the look a couple times now and it's really looking like it'll be something great, if nowhere near their original launch window. I know System Shock will be another team, based in Austin rather than MA, but I'm pretty optimistic, especially now that they've secured enough money to do something moderately ambitious.

2. Cool!

3. It seems that Starbreeze and Otherside have "amicably split" on this project, and Otherside is looking for a new publishing partner.

This probably has more to do with Starbreeze's very precarious financial situation than it does the quality of the game, but Otherside's recent release of Underworld Ascendant in a sorry, blatantly unfinished state is going to be quite the red flag for any potential investors. Hopefully what they have so far is strong enough to ease some of those fears.

4. At the moment I have far more confidence in the System Shock 1 remake Nightdive is working on than I do in this. Has anything SS3-related even been shown anywhere? Concept art? Anything?

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

5. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    It seems that Starbreeze and Otherside have "amicably split" on this project, and Otherside is looking for a new publishing partner.

This probably has more to do with Starbreeze's very precarious financial situation than it does the quality of the game, but Otherside's recent release of Underworld Ascendant in a sorry, blatantly unfinished state is going to be quite the red flag for any potential investors. Hopefully what they have so far is strong enough to ease some of those fears.
    *sigh* OK, now I'm a bit worried. Having played through the first 2 BioShock games (though missing out on the first 2 SS games... I'll have to take care of that sometime), I'm sure hoping this doesn't get canned. Nightdive owns the IP... could they publish this?

https://www.ign.com/articles/2017/05...mages-released
    Here's a bit of SS3 concept art from 2017. Not looking bad so far.

6. Quote Originally Posted by gameoverDude View Post
    *sigh* OK, now I'm a bit worried. Having played through the first 2 BioShock games (though missing out on the first 2 SS games... I'll have to take care of that sometime), I'm sure hoping this doesn't get canned. Nightdive owns the IP... could they publish this?

https://www.ign.com/articles/2017/05...mages-released
    Here's a bit of SS3 concept art from 2017. Not looking bad so far.
    The issue is not so much the license as the budget outlay. They have the rights (which yes, are licensed through Nightdive), but this game has been specced for $12 million and is 50% complete. Starbreeze still owns the debt on the existing budget outlay (which I guess we can assume is around $6 million) and it's unlikely the costs for completion can shrink much beyond that at this point.

So at this point they need to convince someone that this game is going to make back a $12 million investment, which is much harder when your last game (also based on a beloved existing license) sold less than 10,000 copies. Given Nightdive's struggles with the SS remake, it doesn't seem like they're in a position to finance something of that scope.

In related news, Otherside just pushed out a massive update to Underworld that finally brings the game up to a release-worthy state. I'm going to dig into that today.

7. SS3 is 50% complete? I didn't know it was so far along. Has nothing been shown?

8. Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
    SS3 is 50% complete? I didn't know it was so far along. Has nothing been shown?
    Not a damn thing, other than some concept art. This one isn't crowdfunded and I think they're wary of showing too much too early after the heat they got for Ascendant.

But yeah, they said "over 50%" which jives with Starbreeze's financial report that put the game at about $7 million into its $12 million cycle. It's being made by a completely different team, staffed and run by Warren Spector in Austin, so it doesn't seem likely that they're going to necessarily inherit the problems of Ascendant, but I just worry the stigma and the fact that the games share tech are going to follow them.

9. Finally a few seconds of footage and a couple images. It looks nice. I hope they find a publisher.