Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 10121314151618 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Japanese Cartoons: Whatcha Watchin'?

1. The only anime I watched as a young kid were stuff like The Green Forest and Astroboy.
    I think I was in high school before I started watching anime movies.
    I definitely have more nostalgia for the movies.

Quote Originally Posted by alan_fatima View Post

Oh, and speaking of Lodoss War, Ryo Mizuno has a new anime coming out called Record of Grancrest War. I hope it's good. Did y'all ever watch the Legend of Crystania OVAs/Movie? Those were pretty good and follow Ashram/Pirotess. And Rune Soldier, which takes place on the continent of Alecrast (the one lodoss was split from)
    The original Lodoss OAV are so wonderful. I'd get the blu ray but too poor right now, and have other priorities. I didn't care for the tv show or Crystania, but this Record of Grancrest War has my interest.

Ranma was great....up until like season 3-4. I love Ukyo, but the series slowly started going downhill after she came in, with a few still wonderful episodes sprinkled in. The movies/OAVs were pretty great, though.

Does Utena and Escaflowne count as old? I can still watch and enjoy those, and I just got through watching Night on the Galactic Railroad again. Insanely great movie.
    I took all your French Toast.

3. I think my cut off line for "old" is right before Bubblegum Crisis 2040, when digital production started getting really overbearing. So like 1996-97.

Cowboy Bebop is excellent but does not make the cut, but I think Utena and Escaflowne are on the very edge.
    Last edited by YellerDog; 24 Oct 2017 at 11:01 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    I think my cut off line for "old" is right before Bubblegum Crisis 2040, when digital production started getting really overbearing. So like 1996-97.

Cowboy Bebop is excellent but does not make the cut, but I think Utena and Escaflowne are on the very edge.

Yeah, I think Escaflowne was 96 and Utena 97.

The Battle Angel OAV is really good. Not quite the level of the manga, but it's great in its own way. Very amazing atmosphere.

I thought Iria was pretty great too, though I haven't seen it in a while. Still one of the best intros:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoBTfNS15Hs

Er, what else? The Rumik World OAVs were nice, especially Maris the Chojo. It was just silly and fun.

A few more:

Battle Athletes tv series
    Tenchi
    Galaxy Express 999

Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    I think my cut off line for "old" is whether it came out on laserdisc or not.
    Fixed that for ya.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMog View Post
    Screw being smart. This is TNL.

6. Well I mean that goes through to 2000...

7. And yes, we are old.

8. I put the line more around 'shows designed around dvd releases, so there is some spill over.

Quote Originally Posted by GohanX View Post
    Fixed that for ya.

I think all of mine fit, in that case. I used to own a lot of Tenchi on laserdisc, along with Battle Angel, Slayers, Maris the Chojo, some Ranma, Grave of the Fireflies, and er....some imports of Utena/Escaflowne because I was an f-chan.

10. What's the most recent show that was really popular in its day, but current fandom couldn't care less about? That's the cutoff for "old" imo. Of course it's going to move forward with time (as it should), and it's going to include a lot of stuff that doesn't "feel" old to us oldtimers.

Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    I like doing stuff with animals and kids