Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 46789 LastLast

Thread: George R.R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" series

1. Quote Originally Posted by sedition View Post
    I have no idea when the next book is coming out... I'm tired of caring.

Sansa is pretty much the only PoV not in that book. I felt like it was a small blessing. Whenever I see a Sansa, Cersi, or in that last book, a Dany chapter... I zone out in anticipation for the most boring fantasy ever.

Melisandre will bring Jon back... Stannis is close.

Dany in the fifth book does nothing the entire time, it's a giant boring stall-fest. Stuff happens in her last two chapters if I remember correctly... It's really useless.
    I agree, I am tired of waiting. That is why I am glad there is a TV series as proxy to how it all plays out.

I thought Jon warged into Ghost, but I assume he will be brought back or maybe warg into Stannis, that would be hilarious

2. Quote Originally Posted by Mzo View Post
    Yeah.

I'm not partial to giant series spanning 30 books, but horrible horrible fantasy goes hand in hand with that shit.
    If you want to read a really good, and different (and even more brutal) fantasy, check out Steven Erikson's The Malazan Tale of the Fallen. He cranked out all 10 books and each one is more epic than the next. The list of memorable characters are simply ridiculous, it is so much fun that I have reread the series twice, and now starting a 3rd time this summer. It is that good. Also, there is an excellent blog called Reread of the Malazan that explains chapter by chapter how everything fits in. It is amazing stuff.

Check out the first book, Gardens of the Moon (rather fruity title).

There are also 6 side novels, 3 of them written by Erikson, 3 by his role-playing buddy. He also started another trilogy in the same universe that goes over a particular race's early history (with 2nd book to be released in 2015), and also contracted to write another trilogy for yet another pivotal character.

IMO, this series is the pinnacle of epic fantasy (after Tolkien).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gardens.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	15.2 KB 
ID:	74486  
    Last edited by kingoffighters; 24 Jun 2014 at 10:58 PM.

3. kof is slipping... there are way more than 6 side novels.

ICE has five books out.... the six and final book, Assail, is coming out soon.

SE has five Bauchelain and Korbal Broach novellas out.

Last time kof was here... you hadn't finished the main series. Now you've read it twice. Damn.
    look here, upon a sig graveyard.

4. 10 books, that is just daunting. I read the Wiki and it looks like the inspiration came from the stories they made in RPGs like Dungeons and Dragons, which is pretty cool. I repurposed some of the plot from the D&D games I ran into my stories.

I'll take a look at the daunting series, though.

5. I started Gardens of the Moon on the kindle app and liked it enough that I just picked up a hardcover copy. The cover is fucking horrific garbage that would've ensured I never would've even touched it if not for recommendations from here, but I now own the first physical book for fun I've purchased in probably like 10 years.

6. Do you have the version with the guy on the horse and the girl? I think I originally bought either that version or the version with just the guy on the horse. It's pretty bad.

Now I own the attached version. I'll try to take a picture of all my Malazan related books later.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rake802.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	113.2 KB 
ID:	74489  
    look here, upon a sig graveyard.

7. Guy on horse with girl. At least with hardcovers I can take off the dust jacket if I was ever to leave the house with it to avoid embarrassment.

8. Quote Originally Posted by MechDeus View Post
    Guy on horse with girl. At least with hardcovers I can take off the dust jacket if I was ever to leave the house with it to avoid embarrassment.
    I have the same cover, it is hilarious because the title + cover will fool people into thinking you are reading 50 Shades of Paran

9. Quote Originally Posted by Calliander View Post
    Plus, there's something going on with Manderly that I can't put my finger on yet.
    Hehehehe. Motherfucking Wyman Titus Andronicus Manderly.

10. Quote Originally Posted by kingoffighters View Post
    If you want to read a really good, and different (and even more brutal) fantasy, check out Steven Erikson's The Malazan Tale of the Fallen.
    This isn't the first time I've seen this series recommended, so I went ahead and picked up the first book. I'm only about a quarter of the way through, but I'm not seeing the comparison to Song in terms of brutality yet. It's been gory from time to time, but I'm finding it quite restrained in terms of violence and sexuality. If anything, the massive scope and metaphysical concepts remind me more of Dune than anything else. Not thematically, obviously, but in the way you're dropped into an utterly alien setting that's rich with its own lore, rules and shitloads of factions and left to make sense of it all yourself.

Obviously I've only scratched the surface, so it's likely my opinion will change. I'm at least enjoying it, which is more than I can say for most fantasy series!