Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Check out my logo and post card

1. Check out my logo and post card

Here's just a little project I've pretty much finished working on for an old family friend who recently purchased a music camp in vermont.

She wanted me to design a new logo with a little promotional postcard, and here's what I came up with:

Logo:

Postcard Front:

Postcard Back:

critiques welcome! I think it all turned out quite well.

2. I think it sucks

3. i work in mailpiece design. you may want to check the logo size on the mailing side. i know normally they have a 50%/30% restriction meaning it can't be longer that 50% of the mailpiece or taller than 30% of it. looks like it might be over the 30& size. of course if these are going out single piece with stamps/metered postage this might not matter. check with your local MPDA to find out.

4. Quote Originally Posted by dave is ok View Post
    I think it sucks
    i hate you dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dyne View Post
    i work in mailpiece design. you may want to check the logo size on the mailing side. i know normally they have a 50%/30% restriction meaning it can't be longer that 50% of the mailpiece or taller than 30% of it. looks like it might be over the 30& size. of course if these are going out single piece with stamps/metered postage this might not matter. check with your local MPDA to find out.
    Yeah I imagine this will be more along the lines of simple stamps/whatever, but thanks for the info, i'll forward it to the client. That's something to remember for the future.

5. Needs a UFO.

6. I don't particularly like it for a couple of reasons. For a camp environment the logo isn't incredibly fun or outdoorsy. It also has way too many graphic elements in it for a logo (the notes, the tree's the horizon line, the reflections, that swoopy thing connecting the P's). The font itself also doesn't really fit a camp that well, and the usage of your logo on the postcard is too black and white for my tastes. When I think of camp I think of cool texture like wood, or at least some kind of style. An outdoorsy feeling would have been fun to play around with. The green front of the postcard has a fun element going for it with all the waves. That makes it a bit busy, too. I would play with that a lot more to refine it.

This kind of looks like a rough thumbnail you start with at the very beginning of a layout on the computer. How many drafts/thumbnails did you do before you settled on this?

Also needs a ufo.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 29 Jan 2008 at 07:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

7. I like it, I just think the wiggly writing is a little tough to read.

But Im not wearing my glasses so...

8. Thanks for the critique andrew. I think you need to understand that this was all pretty hastily done, as the project for me was more of a "do this in your spare time" sort of thing. Plus this is the first design project I've worked on in more than two years. It felt good to get back into the swing of things, but It also reminded me of how technically unequipped I am (definitely need to delve into some advanced Illustrator techniques, oh and buy a god damn scanner). And while I agree that a more woodsy, fun theme might have worked better, I think the music part of the camp is supposed to be the bigger focus which is why I went for a more serious vibe.

But hey, the client loves it, so at least there's that. I think it obviously could use some refining to make it great, but for the time i've put into, and the payment I'm receiving, it I think it's good enough.

9. I like it, but I agree with Andrew that it has too much happening.

GG

BTW, do you have any artwork for sale?
    Quick zephyrs blow, vexing daft Jim.

10. Quote Originally Posted by AstroBlue View Post
    BTW, do you have any artwork for sale?
    shit, everything I've got is for sale.

I'll make a post sometime soon (i've got a lot of new shit since school ended)