Page 4 of 329 FirstFirst ... 23456818 ... LastLast

Thread: Official PlayStation Vita Thread

No SRPG is better than FFT.

2. I could buy Rondo of Swords being it, if there is one.

But if we're looking at ports included v. ports included, the PSP is unquestionably the winner.

The DS has only been a TGM playing machine for me lately, and that ain't even a commercial game.
    Last edited by Tain; 27 Jan 2009 at 02:19 PM.

3. Oh yeah, Rondo of Swords... I couldn't get into it at all. I should give it another shot.

Adavance Wars isn't an SRPG. And even if it were, I thought both the DS ones were pretty disappointing. AW2 is still the reigning champ, imo.

4. I'm with Gooch and Bacon on this. I want a portable that focuses on being portable, not a mini home console. I also want a portable that does good portable games first, with all the auxiliary stuff a distant second. Having online capabilities, a music player, and all these extras are cool things, but not things I buy a gaming machine for.

Sony's attempt to snipe the iPod with PSP has been a failure because it tries to do way more than Apple's product and never ends up excelling at just one thing. Creating an all-in-one portable product is the technological step that a lot of companies want to take and that's fine. Though it's yet to create a product that handles gaming better than a dedicated platform.

Since Sony's already looking to develop their new portable, they should learn from the PSP. I think the core lessons would be:

1. Make it about games first and foremost.

2. Don't create artificial points of entry, such as high cost to purchase, develop for, or proprietary formats to use.

3. Focus on making it a platform for games tailored to it, rather than larger-scale games shoehorned into it.

4. If need be scale back the tech. This one could be controversial, a "Wii-ifying" of the PSP. Though I've read some pretty interesting things on disruptive technologies and business models that would support the idea.

5. Don't plan to release it until either the tech is cheap enough to use at a lower price point, or until the recession shows signs of a recovery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Bacon McShig View Post
    Adavance Wars isn't an SRPG. And even if it were, I thought both the DS ones were pretty disappointing. AW2 is still the reigning champ, imo.
    I thought DoR was pretty good. I know it is not a SRPG but it is tactical and a good portable game you can play a turn or two.

6. http://www.mcvuk.com/news/33063/PSP-...s-are-nonsense

"Clearly, being a quiet time of year, many, what we thought to be credible websites, are making up stories about PSP2, and how it allows you to teleport across the globe, travel through time, and will be powered by the horns of baby rhinoceroses," Sony explained. "Hopefully, you can sense a mild tone of sarcasm, which should hopefully indicate how 'on the money' IGN are. Needless to say, we don't comment on rumour or speculation, but this is nonsense."
    Quote Originally Posted by Ex Ranza View Post
    Halverson had me totally convinced of Cybermorph's greatness, I'll tell you that much.

Then I got a Jag, took it home, and something seemed... not right.

7. That is the most awesome official repudiation I've ever seen.

8. We need more PR people like this.
    Finished Games of '09
    nothing at this time

9. Travel thru time, now I would buy 2 along with a spare flux capacitor.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Chux View Post
    Sony came out and said IGN is full of shit.

Not really, but they did debunk it themselves.
    A red flag has to go up when you see an article that credits "several reliable sources" and then goes on to say that Sony refused to comment.