Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Revolutionary Girl Utena

1. Back in 2000 (or was it 2001?), a bunch of friends and I were at AX and were all excited about the Utena movie premier. We all came out trying to figure out what the hell we just saw.

2. I remember liking the movie a lot. Long, long ago...
    Donk

3. Quote Originally Posted by Station View Post
    Back in 2000 (or was it 2001?), a bunch of friends and I were at AX and were all excited about the Utena movie premier. We all came out trying to figure out what the hell we just saw.
    Problem with the movie is that you need to see the TV series to semi-understand it and it's not even entirely related. AND it's told entirely in symbolism and metaphor. Jarring to people who don't know what to expect!

Eh, I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    So I just got done watching box set 1. I picked up the first two (and completely forgot about the third) just because I'd been hearing about Utena for years, and curiosity finally got the better of me.

Why does this show suck so bad? The council wants revolution, but they're pampered little rich kids with nothing to revolt against. Utena is half-assedly trying to rescue Anthy from being the bride, but at no point does Anthy seem to care one way or another. Not only that, but there's a mystery involving a giant upside-down castle and Utena has zero interest in it. If the main character doesn't care, why should I?

There's obviously more going on here than has been shown yet, but 12 episodes is more than enough time to establish the characters and their world, at least. So far the characters are all drama-queens and the world is pampered luxury school. I hear the Black Rose chapter is much better, but honestly, it would have to try really damn hard not to be.

James
    You need to watch more; it starts to somewhat make sense. Anthy isn't what she seems.
    I took all your French Toast.

5. Well, that's the understatement of the year.

I'll just leave these here, since the Geek Nights guys are already doing so much better a job than I could...

Man, I can't wait til the get into the Black Rose arc. Speaking of which, James, watch it. THEN, if you still want to, you can say the show sucks.
    Last edited by Space Pirate Roberts; 22 Dec 2012 at 02:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    I like doing stuff with animals and kids

6. Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post

7. Well, my absolute wish is for the movie to come to Blu-ray, but I'll take this for now! I'm now kind of glad I didn't grab the rest of the DVD box sets then.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

8. I really want to watch this on blu ray but this show means a lot to me, and makes me cry like a baby, so if i bought it i would just just be scared of it. its cool that they are rereleasing it tho.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

9. Quote Originally Posted by mollipen View Post
    Well, my absolute wish is for the movie to come to Blu-ray, but I'll take this for now! I'm now kind of glad I didn't grab the rest of the DVD box sets then.
    I kind of just assumed the movie would be included like in the DVD sets, but who knows, maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post