Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234568 ... LastLast

Thread: Help Me Pick a TV

1. Quote Originally Posted by Gondolin View Post
    If I were in the market for a new TV I'd be considering one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...sd_al_bw_c_x_1

4K, has Roku built-in, and I've read a lot of good reviews. There are only a handful of companies that actually manufacture the panels that go into their TVs and TCL is one of 'em (http://www.tclusa.com/aboutus/).

Good luck!

It looks pretty nice. The big question though is - What kind of input lag does that display have?

2. I hadn't thought of that...

A cursory search of the internet tells me that TCL tvs have moderate to poor lag times, depending on the model. So, yeah, you might want to avoid these if twitch gameplay is your thing.
    ...because without the bitter, baby, the sweet ain't as sweet.

An LG Oled 4k that can curve, the Scorpio will work great with this. Oh shit this is an old thread who keeps bumping these?

4. Im really starting to look into a 4K tv and the input lag on these things worries me. Retailers don't tend to say anything about it when looking at specs.
    Xbox Live- SamuraiMoogle

5. There are ones with good input lag but the whole HDR thing will make that number go up.

6. rtings.com is a good site for finding out input lag and overall reviews of tvs you're looking at. Honestly last year when I was looking for a new TV, most of the 4K sets had better lag than the 1080p ones. It seemed like I was having to pay double for a 1080p set with the same low level of lag as the 4k ones I was looking at.

There's also Displaylag.com which does list some models though I find rtings.com seems to cover a lot more sets.

Certain manufacturers are definitely getting WAY better about lag. There are some sets from LG and Samsung that are in the sub 20ms which is damn impressive. If you're ok with a smaller size (like sub 30") you can find computer monitors that are like in the 10ms or less range. Though for 90% of the people out there anything in the teens is probably not noticeable. If I remember right, at 60fps a single frame lasts about 16ms, so if you're in the sub 20s then you're talking only about 1 frame of lag roughly.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Shin Johnpv View Post
    There are some sets from LG and Samsung that are in the sub 20ms which is damn impressive.
    It's been a long time since I have shopped for TVs, but it's interesting the difference from monitors. There are people who avoid IPS monitors because they exceed TN panels' ~1ms response. The IPS monitor I almost bought last week had a 5ms.

I hate display lag with a passion, but a 4 ms difference? That's nothing.

9. Response time is not the same as input lag so you're comparing two different things. Response time just represents how fast the display can change a pixel from black to white (or sometimes gray to gray, manufactures will use whichever one makes them seem better). Response time has more of an impact on how much ghosting something has. It does have some effect on input lag, but the measurements I'm talking about come from the input lag test (which does take into effect response time) and not a manufacturer's reported response time. You're trying to compare apples to oranges. That said though yes some computer monitors have much better input lag than regular tvs do. Though I don't know of a single manufacturer who publishes input lag. The fastest displays out there are monitors with 10ms and 9ms of input lags.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

Reading is fundamental! Somehow I blew right past the "input" part. Good catch.