Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 234568 ... LastLast

Thread: TNL's Top Ten Games of the Last Generation

1. I bought a copy of Dreamcast MvsC2 when it got clearanced a few months after release for $20.

Of course, my Dreamcast stopped reading my copy of the game right about the time that copies got scarce and the game started going for $50-$60.

While there are more technical and balanced fighters out there (especially on the Dreamcast), MvsC2 is still the most fun I had with any fighter on that system next to Soul Calibur.

2. Quote Originally Posted by kingoffighters View Post
    No argument there... maybe the DC? But who the hell wants a DC now
    a week ago or so i swear i almost bought a DC with MvC2, but i backed out.

shitty thing is is i remember the day i was in EB and the game was sitting there for $40, and i said "ill get it when its cheaper"
    b_ri on Twitch, Games Beaten in 2020 (3): Pokemon Sword (Sw), Detroit: Becoming Human (PS4), Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (PS4),

3. I knew that RE4 would be first but the rest of the list was a surprise for various reasons. Great post, Yoshi.

4. WTF @ no Devil May Cry

Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    I like doing stuff with animals and kids

Awesome post, Yoshi.

My two cents on the games -

Jet Grind Radio - A fantastic, original, and addictive game. This is worth buying a DC for. I'm glad it made the top 10.

Street Fighter III: Third Strike - I haven't been hardcore into fighting games since the early '90s but I still bought this and loved it. I agree with Yoshi about the cast but you can't deny the smoothness of the gameplay and animation.

Halo - It overshadows a few better first-person shooters but it's still a fine game with an epic feel. It's also somewhat responsible for legitimizing the genre on console which is a good thing.

Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence - In the past, I would groan at the MGS series making top lists but this time it deserves the extreme praise. Subsistence fixed most of the camera issues which held back my enjoyment. The story is still retarded but with such slick atmosphere, gameplay, and cinematography, I can overlook that. And, the MSX2 games alone make the package worth buying, too.

Shadow of the Colossus - A breath-taking game despite some technical issues. I enjoyed Ico but I was blown away by SotC's living puzzles.

Ninja Gaiden - I haven't played Black but I must say it pains me I didn't enjoy the Xbox Ninja Gaiden more. I live for ninja action games but I found this a fairly good but overly frustrating Onimusha wannabe. I liked God of War a lot more, and it certainly wasn't because of the theme.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - Despite some glitches, this was a really great RPG. They kept the length small enough but gave it enough player freedom to keep it interesting. I am surprised however that this is so much more loved than Jade Empire which was of similar quality.

Half-Life 2 - Simply the best pure-action FPS there is, especially for single player, from the feel of the weapons to the dream-like environments. It's everything I wanted in an HL sequel.

Metroid Prime - I hate to say it, but this is an overrated game. Don't get me wrong, I think it's quite good, and it's impressive that an unproven developer made a Metroid game of this quality, but its level design, platform gameplay and charm aren't at Super Metroid's level. Also, this isn't in the same league as other "FPA" games like System Shock 2 and Deus Ex in terms of depth or design.

Resident Evil 4 - Capcom managed to breathe new life into a franchise that seemed destined for stagnation. This is one of the best action games around.

Super Smash Bros. Melee - I will never understand the hate this gets from some people. It's the ultimate party game/Nintendo museum. It's the spiritual sequel to the 1983 Mario Bros. in many ways which is one of my childhood favourites.

Gradius V - Back in the day I was a bigger fan of R-Type and Thunder Force than Gradius but given the last games in each series, Gradius wins out with one of the best shooters in recent years.

Dragon Quest VIII - This was finally a bit of step up for the most archaic RPG series but even with a fresh coat of paint, it's too long and repetitive to hold my interest.

Marvel vs. Capcom 2 - I wouldn't put this near last gen's top 25 but it's pretty stylish and good for a quick fighting fix.

Rez - I love rail shooters and TRON-ish visuals. This nicely mixes both. It's no Sin and Punishment for gameplay but it serves its purpose.

Shenmue II - I can understand why some don't like this series. Sure, it could use more puzzles but I think it's an amazing experience that manages to be more than the sum of its parts. You can tell the attention to detail, epic story, classic Sega nods and emotional soundtrack were a labour of love from Yu and his team.

Ico - Simply a well made Out of this World-inspired adventure with awesome atmosphere. Yorda is too young and skinny to be considered hot, though, you pedophilic bastards.

Warcraft III - I'm not much of an RTS fan but it seems quite polished.

Silent Hill 2 - I tried to get into this but couldn't. As scary and twisted as it is, I don't find the design that compelling compared to the Resident Evil or Fatal Frame games. It's not bad but I guess I can't like them all.

Deus Ex - I think I have given my opinions on this game enough times. Best game ever (at least until Bioshock, hopefully).

Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution - I haven't played it enough to master all its complicated nuances but even casually popping it into my PS2 now and again is enjoyable. I have always loved the feel and characters in this series.

Final Fantasy XII - Easily the best JRPG and Square game since Xenogears. Real-time combat and non-random battles are very welcome as well as a story and characters that don't head into self-loathing douchebag teenager Squall territory.

Halo 2 - See Halo 1 comments.

God of War - The old-fashioned arcade Double Dragon/Golden Axe type of beat 'em up may have nearly become extinct but at least we have some awesome modern successors like this.

Guitar Hero - I'm not a big fan of rhythm games but from what I played, this seemed like just the testosterone fix the genre needed. Cool stuff.

Some last gen games I love that didn't make TNL's top 25 -

Grand Theft Auto series - I figured the divided votes would screw this series over like was mentioned. All three main games were awesome, especially III at the time even though San Andreas surpassed it in many ways.

Beyond Good & Evil - An excellent mix of 3d Zelda with classic French action-adventure quirkyness. This deserved to be to be much more popular.

System Shock 2 - There was some debate as to what generation this is from. I consider last gen as it came out after the DC's Japanese launch.

The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

Pikmin series - Those dismissing these as "dumbed-down RTS games" are missing the point, and likely haven't played them at length. Everything from the surreal landscapes to boss battles and management of your creatures is perfectly crafted.

Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat - This is the platformer on. There's no Super Mariob Sunshine-type tedious crap to be found, just great jumping action and some Punch Out!!-ish bosses. The only downside is that you will look like a tool banging away on the drums.

Yakuza - Bone-crunching goodness.

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines - Superb horror style with great dialogue and some Deus Ex-inspired design. Aside from some annoying bugs (save often in multiple slots to avoid getting screwed), this kicks ass.

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Chronicle of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay

Cave Story - Metroid meets Monster World but with its own impressive art style. It's free too so no one has an excuse not to try it.

Fuck that was long. I need to stop doing that.
    Last edited by NeoZeedeater; 13 Jun 2007 at 11:13 PM. Reason: spelling

6. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi
    • 89 games of Japanese origin received 319 votes for 1,715 points.
    • 69 games of Western origin received 208 votes for 1,183.5 points
    OMG, TNL chan conspiracy!

7. Quote Originally Posted by MajinRyu View Post
    Sanford is a beast but he is boring to watch
    He's funny in person.

8. I am surprised that Neo doesn't like Ninja Gaiden. But he saved himself by discrediting Metroid Prime.

9. Phantom Dust not making the top 25 is a crying shame. That was my favorite Xbox game, period.

10. Quote Originally Posted by kingoffighters View Post
    Panzer Dragon Orta not making the top 25 is a crying shame. That was my favorite Xbox game, period.