Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12346 ... LastLast

Thread: Limbo

1. Quote Originally Posted by AstroBlue View Post
    Hahah, is that seriously a genre? Flashback, Prince of Persia and Out of this World, no?
    It was one of the suggested names for that genre. I don't like it personally because it would exclude Out of this World and include stuff like Super Metroid. I don't think we ever reached a consensus. Precision Platformer might have been the best.

http://www.the-nextlevel.com/board/s...ad.php?t=11208

How about Rotoscoped Platformer? Or maybe "Cinematc Platformer," since that's a little more inclusive.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 30 Nov 2006 at 04:03 PM.

Oh man, that looks amazing.

3. Quote Originally Posted by AstroBlue View Post
    Hahah, is that seriously a genre? Flashback, Prince of Persia and Out of this World, no?
    You forgot tombraider, dumbass!
    "Your soul better belong to Jesus, mmm-mmmmm..... cause your ass belongs to me!"

4. He probably didn't include TR because it's 3D.

As I was trying to fall asleep last night, I realized this game reminds me more of Heart of Darkness than any of the other step-based platformers. And not the gay CG parts (which should have been left out entirely), but the actual gameplay. There was something sinister about that game.

5. The thing about Precision Platformer is that a bunch of these games really seem like the opposite of precise to me. Big timing windows and all of that versus the Mario fare.

6. I'm going with Cinematic Platformers, then. I'm making a wiki entry (or updating the one I've been writing) and linking games to it and hopefully it catches on,

7. Quote Originally Posted by Compass View Post
    He probably didn't include TR because it's 3D.
    In that case, my mistake. Pardon me.

I'm just wondering, should games like Darkstone and Nosferatu be included? I've always been inclined to believe that the gameplay was similar.
    "Your soul better belong to Jesus, mmm-mmmmm..... cause your ass belongs to me!"

8. Quote Originally Posted by Tain View Post
    The thing about Precision Platformer is that a bunch of these games really seem like the opposite of precise to me. Big timing windows and all of that versus the Mario fare.
    Agreed. I was going to say pretty much the same thing.

Cinematic Platformer is a cooler sounding name, but I could see devil's advocates arguing for how incredibly cinematic they found <Insert Generic Platformer Here> to be. Plus, while most of these games do indeed tend to be cinematic, their true distinction lies in their control schemes -- which is of course independent from any cinematic aspects.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Compass View Post
    He probably didn't include TR because it's 3D.

As I was trying to fall asleep last night, I realized this game reminds me more of Heart of Darkness than any of the other step-based platformers. And not the gay CG parts (which should have been left out entirely), but the actual gameplay. There was something sinister about that game.
    i fucking LOVE HoD. played a bit of it last night actually.
    is there any bigger examples of the concept art? id love to make a desktop bg out of it.

I usually call them step-platformers, because the most basic unit of movement in them tends to be a single step (unlike games such as SMB, where you can easily move a single pixel forward).