Page 18 of 42 FirstFirst ... 41416171819202232 ... LastLast

Thread: Abuse the Youtube Tags: Videogame Edition

1. The 32X played Doom way better than my old 486.

Tempo was great! It also had the bestest After Burner port and the best NBA Jam TE port for its time. NBA Jam with sprites that properly scaled based on their position on court was VERY important for ten-year-old me.

And Chaotix is great. Nobody else really thinks that, but that's okay.

Not much else going on there, though. Never did get to try Kolibri...

2. Star Wars Arcade, Shadow Squadron and Space Harrier are pretty cool games for the 32X.

Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Come on. There's no way the 32X was anything other than crap. Every system* has at least a handful of good games, it doesn't make the system good. Even if every game was a masterpiece, it was overly expensive, underpowered, poorly supported, destroyed a ton of trust fans had in Sega, and screwed up 2 generations of hardware. I know there is some hipster revisionism that is popular with this sort of stuff but I think the consensus on 32X is right on.

*except the CD-i.
    It was the first time a console had ports of Space Harrier and After Burner anywhere near close to the arcade. Star Wars and Shadow Squadron were pretty good flight shooters at a time when there weren't many arcade-y ones available. Virtua Racing and Virtua Fighter were well made, much higher quality than similar games on Jaguar. Kolibri and Chaotix are unique experiences. Tempo is a solid platformer with excellent visuals. It has quality sports games, too.

It's not top ten worst console material from a games standpoint which is the only thing that should matter with a list like this. But thanks for accusing me of "hipster revisionism" instead of being someone who is actually aware of really bad, obscure systems from the '70s onwards.
    Last edited by NeoZeedeater; 09 Mar 2014 at 11:53 AM.

Why would anyone ever go to Kotaku to find that in the first place?

5. Why are we even discussing Kotaku?

In any case, 32X was not a good add-on. Sure, they are a few good games but the it was too expensive, bulky and late to the party.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    Why would anyone ever go to Kotaku to find that in the first place?
    Because I'm an idiot. It's one of the sites I visit to sort of see what's going on in games, and I always regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by kingoffighters View Post
    Why are we even discussing Kotaku?

In any case, 32X was not a good add-on. Sure, they are a few good games but the it was too expensive, bulky and late to the party.
    True but it still offers more than the 64DD or Jaguar CD as far as add-ons go. And while I would never attempt to make an absolute worst systems list, the Action Max, Pippin, Game.com, Studio II, R-Zone, Hyperscan, Arcadia 2001, Adventurevision, Supervision, Super Vision 8000, Halcyon, and a bunch of late '70s systems that were stuck playing Pong variations in a VCS world would certainly make sure the 32X (and other systems in the video like 3DO) wouldn't reach a top ten worst list.

8. Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedeater View Post
    True but it still offers more than the 64DD or Jaguar CD as far as add-ons go. And while I would never attempt to make an absolute worst systems list, the Action Max, Pippin, Game.com, Studio II, R-Zone, Hyperscan, Arcadia 2001, Adventurevision, Supervision, Super Vision 8000, Halcyon, and a bunch of late '70s systems that were stuck playing Pong variations in a VCS world would certainly make sure the 32X (and other systems in the video like 3DO) wouldn't reach a top ten worst list.
    Agree, I don't think 32X is one of 10 worst. Your list is certainly good, but I am afraid most of us won't even know half of what they are, therefore, not very interesting to the Kotaku crowd. I still remember Action Max, I wanted that so badly but was a bit suspect of the VHS tape.

9. Quote Originally Posted by kingoffighters View Post
    Your list is certainly good, but I am afraid most of us won't even know half of what they are, therefore, not very interesting to the Kotaku crowd.
    That's the sad part. If I didn't know these systems, but I'm being told they're worse than the hyped Jaguar or N-Gage, wouldn't I want to know more about it? What makes it so terrible? If I like games, and care about game history, shouldn't this be interesting to me?

10. You forget that video games didn't exist before Nintendo.