Thread: "Bang For the Buck" Home Audio

"Bang For the Buck" Home Audio

Well, I'm helping a guy set up a recording studio and he wants to put 4 speakers up in the main room for watching football on the projector. I recommended that if he do that, that he wall mount whatever he gets cause towers will get bashed to hell by musicians bringing their gear in and out all the time. I am quite knowledgeable as to pro-audio gear and applications, but I'm pretty clueless on home a/v.

Can I find powered stuff, or should I stick to passives and recommend a tuner?

What are some good manufacturers I should be looking at that won't break his bank? (he's already spending close to 20,000 on the studio)

Any general or specific advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. 4 speakers? Why wouldn't he get 5? Any sound from TV is gonna be either stereo, Dolby Pro Logic or Dolby Digital 5.1. The center channel is really important for sports viewing.

If he's really just gonna watch sports than a $500 HTIB setup should get the job done. Trying to shoehorn pro audio stuff into a home theater setup may be more trouble than it's worth. I don't think he needs towers if he has a sub, if it's more for home theater and not music.

If you want to go a little higher end...personally my setup is a $300 ballpark Yamaha receiver, the 5 Spherex speakers that came with the old Xbox branded 5.1 setup (the sub and main box croaked a long time ago) and I just got the NHT Classic 10 sub for $300 on clearance. I'm happy with it...I'm sure anything pro blows it away, but it's a pretty simple standard setup that works with everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    burgundy is the only conceivable choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    I have an Alcatraz-style all-star butthole.

3. If he is running a projector, they generally don't have any built in speakers or amplifiers (or they are tiny and shit) so you need an amp.

I would say pick up a HTIB system, like this Onkyo. http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=...ss=Systems&p=i

Quote Originally Posted by burgundy View Post
    4 speakers? Why wouldn't he get 5? Any sound from TV is gonna be either stereo, Dolby Pro Logic or Dolby Digital 5.1. The center channel is really important for sports viewing.
    I was curious about this myself. He did say four speakers, but I'm guessing that if he intends to only use them for watching video, then it would make much better sense to just get a 5.1 setup. Sometimes studios do set up playback speakers in the main room, but I doubt he/we will use them for that.

Thanks for the recommendations so far everyone. I'm meeting up with him tomorrow evening to do a walk through of the facility before he starts buying gear, and I'll discuss it more with him and try to nail down exactly what it is he is after.

5. If he intends to use them *at all* for video, regardless of other applications, he should have a center channel. (Or else, just go with the traditional pair of stereo speakers.) 4-channel is both very non-standard (at least for video) and probably a bad choice especially for sports.

The sub is less (or even not) necessary, but if he's got an ear for pitch, the lack of bass might piss him off. Though you can set the crossover really low so that all bass is coming from speakers, it doesn't mean that the small satellite speakers can reproduce it. Then again, for football, who gives a shit.

Really though, center channel all the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    burgundy is the only conceivable choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    I have an Alcatraz-style all-star butthole.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildkat View Post
    If he is running a projector, they generally don't have any built in speakers or amplifiers (or they are tiny and shit) so you need an amp.

I would say pick up a HTIB system, like this Onkyo. http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=...ss=Systems&p=i
    I got the system right below that one (the 600) and it's pretty good for a HTIB system. I've replaced the front speakers though, the speakers in the set are a bit lacking, although they are better than most boxed systems.

Protip-set the center channel upright like the L and R channels, not horizontally like in the picture.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMog View Post
    Screw being smart. This is TNL.