Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jeremy Blaustein Podcast Interview (A MUST!)

1. Jeremy Blaustein Podcast Interview (A MUST!)

http://www.mgstus.org/downloads/audi...episode011.mp3

Jeremy Blaustein, translator of Snatcher and Metal Gear Solid (among other games), sounds off on Kojima's enormous ego, love blooming on the battlefield, severed arms that talk, and his unique perspective on the localization business.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

2. GREAT interview. That guy was so candid about everything.

I know it's because of budget restraints, but I always wondered why studios favored recording voice-actors separately and then editing them together. It sounds so much better when you get them all in a room so they can rap back and forth with each other.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Super-Eggroll View Post
    GREAT interview. That guy was so candid about everything.

I know it's because of budget restraints, but I always wondered why studios favored recording voice-actors separately and then editing them together. It sounds so much better when you get them all in a room so they can rap back and forth with each other.
    You'd think that, but honestly, Family Guy and Pixar movies record most of their voices seperately. It's not really that.

What he said that was more insightful I think, and something I never thought of, was that having the script translator present to direct the voices makes a huge difference, because, as the writer, he can communicate the tone he's going for and the context.

I also enjoyed him calling Kojima's scripts retarded and awful.

4. He's right. I don't know how on Earth Kojima got the reputation for his scripts. Snatcher was well-written, but any talent he had was pissed away with the MGS series.

5. Snatcher may be good, but it's also transparently derivative. If it were a movie, people would laugh at what a rip off of Blade Runner it is. I need to play Policenauts, though.

6. Lol, that's so true.

Any word on when that fan translation of Policenauts will be done? I've a modded PSone and a copy of it waiting to be played.

7. The word has not changed. It remains "hopefully by the end of 2007"

8. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    You'd think that, but honestly, Family Guy and Pixar movies record most of their voices seperately. It's not really that.
    Yes, but you'd think it would flow better and allow for better acting/reacting to the other cast members. Family Guy is basically voiced by one guy anyway. He does do a good job singing duets with himself, though.

9. I'm not saying it doesn't help, but it isn't what makes the difference most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    He's right. I don't know how on Earth Kojima got the reputation for his scripts.
    Masses of fanboys overanalyzing his games to the point where they think hold the meaning of life or something.

This was a very interesting listen. Sadly, these problems with translations and voice acting in the industry don't surprise me at all.