Thread: No "stereo mix" option in windows 8.1

1. No "stereo mix" option in windows 8.1

Well since the Toshiba (maker of my laptop) tech site is no help, figured I'd try here. My laptop came with windows 8(can't say I'm fond of it). Under the "recording devices" tab in sound I'm wanting the "stereo mix" option but it's not showing up and I have disabled devices and disconnected devices checked. I've tried updating my sound drivers and nothing has worked. I was mainly wanting this option so I can sample bit and pieces from DVD's or video clips as I play them on the laptop. If you can direct me to a resource or something that can help me do this, it'd be appreciated. At the moment I'm doing it the long tedious route of wiring up devices and running them to the laptop and recording in the best quality possible that way.

From my research online, it seems this is a random problem for various people.

3. Must be your laptop. My machine has it in Win 8.1 but I couldn't get it to work in 7.

Go figure.

4. Isn't there some way to add devices?
    I remember having similar issues at one point, and the input I was looking for was just hidden or disabled for some reason.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Chux View Post
    Must be your laptop. My machine has it in Win 8.1 but I couldn't get it to work in 7.

Go figure.
    Yea I think the trouble started around windows 7, from what I've read. From there its been random on people having problems.

6. Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    Isn't there some way to add devices?
    I remember having similar issues at one point, and the input I was looking for was just hidden or disabled for some reason.
    Well if you goto the recording devices tab it'll show all the devices you have running. If you right click you can check "show disabled" and "show disconnected". But I still don't have it appear when they are checked.

7. I remember having this problem at some point and I don't think I ever got it resolved. I'll take a look when I get home and see if I can remember what I did to get around it.

8. Quote Originally Posted by MechDeus View Post
    I'll take a look when I get home and see if I can remember what I did to get around it.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.