Page 1 of 11 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: LCD TV recommendations

1. LCD TV recommendations

Looking to buy a 37 inch in a month or so for my bedroom, right now my apartment consists of a bedroom/living room, a kitchen and a bathroom... so the TV needs to be decent since it's all I'm gonna have until I get a bigger place.

In the research I've done so far, I see 720p should look fine with a screen below 40 inches and as far as the refresh rate, some reviews say 60 hz is fine and some say 120 hz is vital since 120 is a multiple of 24 and movies are shot in 24 frames. So, if anybody has any experience with a 37 inch LCD that they think looks great for gaming/movies... please let me know what model you are rocking or just what you would recommend.

Thank you for your time.

-Jason

2. Is the 37" going to be your main TV? I'm in the same boat here in a couple months, and will be buying a 40" 60Hz for the bedroom.

In the living room, however, I'll be getting a 46" 120Hz TV, because I've seen the difference on content that moves fast horizontally (football, hockey, basketball, etc), and it's night and day. On my current living room TV, the picture blurs during that fast movement and goes back to crisp once it stops moving. The 120Hz stays clear all the way through.

So I guess my recommendation is...depends on what and how much you use your bedroom TV. For me, I'm more concerned with the price/size in the bedroom than I am the performance.
    Last edited by Schlep; 07 Jan 2010 at 12:26 PM.

3. My two most recent LCD TVs (32" and 55") were both Vizios. The former topped out at 720p/60Hz, while the latter provides 1080p/120Hz. Both served their purposes quite well for gaming and movies.
    Quote Originally Posted by C.S. Lewis
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Schlep View Post
    Is the 37" going to be your main TV? I'm in the same boat here in a couple months, and will be buying a 40" 60Hz for the bedroom.
    this TV will be my main TV. Eventually it will probably become secondary but for now, it's primary.

Quote Originally Posted by squall_vb View Post
    My two most recent LCD TVs (32" and 55") were both Vizios. The former topped out at 720p/60Hz, while the latter provides 1080p/120Hz. Both served their purposes quite well for gaming and movies.
    ok, thanks.

I'm thinking a 720p w/120 hz should suit me well. Was checking THIS set out. Anybody have any LG horror stories? or is it hit or miss with any brand?

5. I hear that 120hz does look great for sports, but makes movies and such look a bit wacky. Can anyone confirm/deny? I'm curious about what sort of difference it would make with movies and gaming, since I do those a lot... and when I do watch TV it's rarely sports... pretty much just slow-paced science/history channel stuff.

6. Jason: I've heard some LGs have trouble working with the PS3; might want to check that out.

koda: It only makes movies look weird if you're using interpolated mode (where it guesses what the frames will look like in between actual frames). That's what gives it the camcorder effect. If you just let it repeat the frames, then it's a good thing.

7. I know I'm the plasma fanboy on TNL, but particularly at low price points plasma blows away LCD. 120hz was made as a bandaid to a deficiency of LCD tech, plasma doesn't have that deficiency. It can display motion fine. Cheapo LCDs look like ass.

8. interesting stuff being tossed around in here. LG's looking like shit with PS3? wouldn't it pretty much be the same based on the specs? does a brand actually make that much of a difference aside from tech support, reliable craftsmanship and reputation?

I'll look into the plasma option... so many decisions about a friggin' TV.

9. plasma rules.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    plasma rules.
    50" 720p plasmas are dirt cheap. Pay a little more for 1080p Samsung, it will blow you away.