Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123457 ... LastLast

Thread: Horizon Vanguard (my game)

1. Cross-posting here, but I'm getting ready to release the Horizon Vanguard demo (next month, a bit later than I hoped lol), and I'm wondering if anybody would be willing to give it a shot before public release (via Steam) and give me some feedback on it. Oculus or Vive. If so, post and I'll PM you some keys when I have them ready.

2. I still haven't bought a VR headset or I'd be all over it.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

3. I was just thinking about this the other day. I'd definitely like to check it out.

4. Keys sent! If anybody else wants one, let me know.

This is a really bad week, so it might be a few days before I try it, but I think it looks fantastic and will give it a whirl, if you're willing.

6. No worries, sent.

7. I'll give it another spin later, but I played through to the end of the demo, so some quick thoughts:

General:
    This is a game I would play. Basically a shmup in VR. I love the music, the retro-arcade aesthetic works, and it generally feels good to play.

Technical:
    Everything seems to work right. No obvious bugs or issues getting it to run. Already beating most alpha tests!

Design:
    The high-level design is very solid. I like what the game is trying to do. These are the gameplay/design issues that gave me grief:
    • First, since you're moving so fast, it's kind of easy to accidentally move forward or back without really noticing, and lose your place where you are in the field. More needs to be done to communicate your position on the y axis.
    • I didn't like the way the radar was limited. There's already a lot to keep track of with ground enemies and shooting and having to look down at the thing to begin with. I feel like it should just stay on or automatically come on at the appropriate parts.
    • I wasn't totally clear on why I sometimes had a laser aim for my gun and sometimes didn't. When I didn't, shooting distant enemies (especially those door locks) could take a lot of concentration, which is a little frustrating with so many other things to keep track of. Maybe if the laser aim was a limited-use thing instead of the scanner? That would be super helpful.
    • Sometimes when shooting the locks at the last minute, I'd get ambushed on the other side without being able to see in advance. Maybe a brief safe area needed just beyond the locks?

8. Congrats on this Tain, must have been a hell of a lot of work. Don't have VR but best of luck.

9. This is looking good. I want to play Tain: The Game real bad. There's not another internet guy to whom I'd more readily entrust my videogame time had I the resources*.

Congratulations, Tain. Good luck!

*one time I looked at the recommended specs for VR and my computer flicked a cigarette at my eye

10. Thanks y'all, I'm really pumped to get this out!

Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    I'll give it another spin later, but I played through to the end of the demo, so some quick thoughts:

General:
    This is a game I would play. Basically a shmup in VR. I love the music, the retro-arcade aesthetic works, and it generally feels good to play.

Technical:
    Everything seems to work right. No obvious bugs or issues getting it to run. Already beating most alpha tests!

Design:
    The high-level design is very solid. I like what the game is trying to do. These are the gameplay/design issues that gave me grief:
    • First, since you're moving so fast, it's kind of easy to accidentally move forward or back without really noticing, and lose your place where you are in the field. More needs to be done to communicate your position on the y axis.
    • I didn't like the way the radar was limited. There's already a lot to keep track of with ground enemies and shooting and having to look down at the thing to begin with. I feel like it should just stay on or automatically come on at the appropriate parts.
    • I wasn't totally clear on why I sometimes had a laser aim for my gun and sometimes didn't. When I didn't, shooting distant enemies (especially those door locks) could take a lot of concentration, which is a little frustrating with so many other things to keep track of. Maybe if the laser aim was a limited-use thing instead of the scanner? That would be super helpful.
    • Sometimes when shooting the locks at the last minute, I'd get ambushed on the other side without being able to see in advance. Maybe a brief safe area needed just beyond the locks?
    Excellent feedback, thanks. I could definitely see that re: reading your position in the playfield and have been considering making the borders more visible at a distance and/or coming up with other cues. The limitation on the radar is also an earlier piece of design that made sense when it was implemented but as you said, there's plenty going on and the radar is way less powerful than I initially expected.

The laser sight is something that goes away after a certain number of shots. You get it reset on death, but tying it to the radar meter or having pickup items may work. I'll be toying around with these.

Oh, and in case you missed it there's a very slightly hidden level select option in the back of the dropship. Some of those intel items in Zone A are pretty hidden.
    Last edited by Tain; 26 Jul 2017 at 10:22 PM.