Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am drawing girls and tentacles

1. I am drawing girls and tentacles

Well, only one girl and a bunch of zombies and tentacles to be exact.

Just a little thread showing the progression of how a little doodle turns into a full piece. I have posted a few pics of this before ages ago when I started it, but I finally got back to working on it yesterday.

The entire image is done in photoshop CS with a wacom tablet, which is how I do 95% of my art lately. No actual physical media is involved.

So first up I did this little doodle of Kristy from ye olde comic kristy vs. the zombie army:

I really liked how this came out, considering it was a five minute or so sketch, so I went ahead and came up with a little "story to drop her into:

One person in a crumbling graveyard against an army of zombies and tentacles, this I can get behind.

Next up, a quick ink job in photoshop on Kristy:

Hmm... Something isn't right, she needs some He-Man-esque battle damage:

Woo, nice.

Next up, I really wasn't feeling the zombies too much, so I dropped them all together and updated the rough with a bunch more tentacles:

This I'm starting to like, and so starts the inking:

The horde of tentacles is growing at an alarming rate!

All of the tentacles are done now. I am moving onto background details and working on the gravestones.

All the main page elements are complete. Now I need to go back and start adding more details, shadows, and blacking out areas:

More and more details added. Also did the first bit of blacking out some background elements:

Close up of the bird. He is looking unhappy as birds in cemeteries tend to:

Some details shots of stuff that's kinda hard to see in the non-fullsize version like this gravestone. This looks awfully familiar...:

A neat little skull with wings:

And you can click right here to see a full size version. It's not quite finished, but for now we'll say it's pretty close.

I'll most likely revisit soon to color it...

More updates as I get more finished.

Lemme know what you think.
    Last edited by Kidnemo; 18 Dec 2007 at 03:35 PM.

2. what size Wacom do you use? i just got a 4x6 graphire for $25 (still need to find a replacement stylus) and have NEVER used one before.

3. I don't understand... I see no penetrating?!
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

4. Quote Originally Posted by Dyne View Post
    what size Wacom do you use? i just got a 4x6 graphire for $25 (still need to find a replacement stylus) and have NEVER used one before.
    I've got an old 6 by 8 inch Intuos 2. I like it quite a bit, but wouldn't mind trying the next bigger size one.

If you have any interest in using the thing proficiently, you should hook i up and start practicing ASAP. For me at least, it was a very slow process.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    I don't understand... I see no penetrating?!
    You gotta give it time... I'm building up to that.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Kidnemo View Post
    If you have any interest in using the thing proficiently, you should hook i up and start practicing ASAP. For me at least, it was a very slow process.
    believe. Do what Nemo say, it's all about practice. If only I did that when I first got my tablet
    -Myk

6. i'm half using it as an excuse to get better with Illustrator. it has always been the one program i've stayed away from. i'm hoping to finally get into Corel Painter X as well.

7. Dyne - post up some of the stuff you are knocking out so we can see it.

Practice practice practice! I still suck at using the stupid tablet compared to a lot of people, but I'm getting better.

First post updated with a bunch more shots.

8. So she is now in an octopus graveyard. Cool...

9. Looks great. I like it.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Kidnemo View Post
    Dyne - post up some of the stuff you are knocking out so we can see it.

Practice practice practice! I still suck at using the stupid tablet compared to a lot of people, but I'm getting better.

First post updated with a bunch more shots.
    i'll up stuff as soon as i actually use it i just got it in the mail yesterday and still need to track down a cheap working stylus.