Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 234568 ... LastLast

Thread: EA and Disney Ink Multi-year Star Wars Game Deal

1. I don't know its not like Lucasarts didn't do any of that. Hell the only reason to own a Nintendo console for me was their Star Wars game, whichever that happened to be at the time. Jedi Knight was always a PC game, and so were the star fighter sims. Very few of their games actually managed to cross systems.

As for DICE, the only reason I'm interested in them is if they actually decide to make Battlefront 3. I don't care about Battlefront, it's always been a Battlefield rip off to me, but if they do it then it's not a ripoff anymore, and I think they could do great things with it. Of course knowing my luck they'll probably make a new Rallisport based on Tatooine or something instead.

Bioware probably is just more The Old Republic. No idea what Visceral would do. Maybe let you play as Darth Vader in Dead Space 3.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    Exactly.

Besides the facts that the BioWare reference likely only refers to more TOR content, and I have never actually finished a Visceral or DICE game, I thought of a way this could get even worse. Disney could sell exclusives to the console companies.
    Or, you know, they could give the franchises to developers that haven't made some of the best games this generation

3. Selling Star Wars to Disney is the worst thing Lucas has ever done, and I've seen Crystal Skull.
    "I've watched while the maggots have defiled the earth. They have
    built their castles and had their wars. I cannot stand by idly any longer." - Otogi 2

4. Quote Originally Posted by Error View Post
    This could be fantastic news. I'm optimistic.

There is one quote that comes to mind though:

"I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as though millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror..."
    EA's response: "You don't know the power of the dark side."

5. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    Exactly.

Besides the facts that the BioWare reference likely only refers to more TOR content, and I have never actually finished a Visceral or DICE game, I thought of a way this could get even worse. Disney could sell exclusives to the console companies.
    The fact that you haven't beaten Mirror's Edge makes your opinion valueless.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    This is what I mean. Terrible developers have been making disappointing games with this license for years. We all knew 1313 was going to be crap too. Now we got great developers working on it and people are sad (also on NeoGAF). Mind-boggling.
    the problem isn't the developers, its the EA exclusivity deal

it looks great on paper for the companies and shareholders, but I think EA's days of trying to turn their image around are gone with that CEO that resigned a month ago... I mean, this IP went to the company that somehow managed to royally fuck up sim city beyond an apology (granted it was about 50/50 maxis/EA), and while they do put a lot of money behind their titles it doesn't necessarily mean they'll wind up being any good (again, see: sim city 2013) or cheap to play -- it's pretty much a lock that any non-ToR SW games they do will have DLC down the throat and out the ass at unreasonable-for-the-content prices

vv I don't know I never played them
    Last edited by cka; 07 May 2013 at 12:19 AM.

7. Quote Originally Posted by cka View Post
    the problem isn't the developers, its the EA exclusivity deal

it looks great on paper for the companies and shareholders, but I think EA's days of trying to turn their image around are gone with that CEO that resigned a month ago... I mean, this IP went to the company that somehow managed to royally fuck up sim city beyond an apology (granted it was about 50/50 maxis/EA), and while they do put a lot of money behind their titles it doesn't necessarily mean they'll wind up being any good (again, see: sim city 2013) or cheap to play -- it's pretty much a lock that any non-ToR SW games they do will have DLC down the throat and out the ass at unreasonable-for-the-content prices
    Was the DLC for Fight Night Champion and SSX all that necessary to enjoy those games?

Yeah, EA have been amongst the worst, when it comes to DLC, but it could possibly change with a new guy running the ship.

8. Eh. EA will make a pile of serviceable games with the Star Wars name on them, nowhere near as good as the review scores indicate but certainly not terrible either. They'll fill up some space on the retail rack and be $20 6 months after release. This news is too bland and uninteresting to be either good or bad.

James

9. I'm pretty surprised. I thought for sure Disney's next move was to buy one of the major players in the videogame industry (maybe even Nintendo - if anybody can afford them it's Disney) and then hand Star Wars and Marvel (and the Hasbro properties if that rumor pans out) off to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    I like doing stuff with animals and kids

10. EA has a lot more good games to their name than Lucasarts has for the last few gens, so sounds like a net gain to me.