Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Republique (iOS, PC, Mac)

1. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    I don't think a PC game that is going to interest me can be developed for $3M (or way less in many cases) in 2012.
    Yikes. A lot of my favorite games from the last few years cost less than $3M. Most AAA games are boring as hell and they're only getting worse.

Quote Originally Posted by epmode View Post
    Yikes. A lot of my favorite games from the last few years cost less than $3M. Most AAA games are boring as hell and they're only getting worse.
    Any idea how much Machinarium cost? That was fantastic and probably cheap, but it's a tiny minority, because the art design was so good.

There's a pretty big gap between AAA and $3M for other stuff to fit.

3. There's no way any Cave shooter cost more than a million dollars.

Damn your quickness. I was about to edit to clarify that most sub-$3M games would have to be 2D, but there just aren't enough of those.

edit: I guess what it comes down to is that my time for games keeps getting smaller, so my standards for how to spend it keep getting higher. I can pretty much tell you now what I am going to play the rest of this year, and it's a lot shorter list than I wish it was. The exception would be iOS games, because I can whip those out if I wait in the car while my wife runs into a store or if my daughter wants me to sit with her while she watches a show. The 3DS also fills the second, but I rarely have it with me outside the house.
    Last edited by Yoshi; 11 Apr 2012 at 07:50 AM.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    Damn your quickness. I was about to edit to clarify that most sub-$3M games would have to be 2D, but there just aren't enough of those.
    Every game bbobb listed is going to be 2D.

2D genres like STGs not 2D because they don't have the budget to do a modern WRPG for example. Adventure is a gray area here admittedly, which is what led to Machinarium coming to mind right away before. I'd love to see a bunch of Rayman Origins level 2D games, but I don't think those cost less than $3M either.
    Last edited by Yoshi; 11 Apr 2012 at 08:54 PM.

7. Whatever Machinarium cost, they made the damn thing then asked for money.

Yeah, I almost put some money toward this but got cold feet when I saw the projected launch of Summer 2013. If it's not an investment and not a charity, I'm unlikely to actually pull the trigger. It's more than a little sad that some of these kickstarters probably are getting funded better than charities that are actually important.

9. I see that argument a lot- Kickstarter gets $X while charity gets $X/2. It's right up there with "You spend all this time playing games when you could be ______."

James

10. If you're going to ask for money before you actually do something, then I think people are entitled to say something that doesn't mean anything either.