Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Small-Press Games

1. As long as there are more buyers than sellers, it won't matter. I actually think the value will continue to shoot up for the good stuff. Common shit like NES Zeldas continue to climb because the demand is there.

2. I feel the direct opposite. I see more people buying older games than I used to, but it's older people doing it. Aside from a percentage of teenagers on the spectrum, very few of them give a shit about this stuff- and they're the ones that will have the disposable income in 20 years. And the desire to have physical media laying around is a dying trait.

3. "Keep it" sounds good on paper, but, in addition to the stuff SSJN mentioned, caps blow and discs rot. This stuff won't be good forever.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I feel the direct opposite. I see more people buying older games than I used to, but it's older people doing it. Aside from a percentage of teenagers on the spectrum, very few of them give a shit about this stuff- and they're the ones that will have the disposable income in 20 years. And the desire to have physical media laying around is a dying trait.
    You definitely have a better perspective than I do. I saw a ton of young people buying at AVGC last week but maybe that is different at a convention.

5. add up all the young people that live in the area around the AVGC. What percentage of the total sample do you think were at the convention?

6. It probably isn't that much, some vendors complained that last year had more people.

Games can't become worthless again soon enough.

yeah, but thats going to happen when you assholes start to die from natural causes.

Games are our Action Comics #1 or whatever metal trucks and robots old people used to collect.

The people driving up the prices are mostly guys, of our age, that have to own 1 of every game for a given system. This is their big hobby. And its not getting dumped back into the market until they die. And we'll be lucky if it goes back into the market and not the trash because so often, the kids and grand kids never understand their parent's hobbies. We'll be lucky if half this shit is donated or goes to an estate sale. And even then, most of you are going to be too old to go look for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Son of Bryce View Post
    These days, I'd rather have an artbook for a game than a physical version of a download-only game. If I want a hardcopy of it, it's not just to put on a shelf somewhere that I'll never look at. Except in times that I notice "Good grief, I have so many damned PS4 games I don't play!"

I really don't think there's anything cool about stacks of games on your shelves that you'll probably never play again for years. Nostalgia's great, but it's kind of a waste of space. Honestly, who is impressed by that stuff??

I'm feeling mixed about it since years and years of games aren't doing much except taking up a ton of space. I recently went out of my way to get a hard copy of Shenmue and it turns out a lot of Dreamcasts can't even read the disc well so I had to resort to just playing an emulator. What a bummer! The every growing reliance on patches and crap give even less of a reason to even own a hard copy, if you're intent is to be "future-proof" for when we're in bunkers during a nuclear fallout.

All that won't stop me from rebuying a game that I had when I was a kid, though. So ignore me...
    People say this, but what do any of you do with space? I've seen pictures of your set ups. Most of you have ugly furniture.

I mean, I have ugly furniture too, but I'm not going online crying about trying to make my living room look better by "oh my precious space"

Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I've said it time and time again, I had more fun going out and finding games than I ever did playing games. Now that finding stuff in the wild is like looking for four leaf clovers I just have no interest in this stuff.
    Let the idiots with way more money than sense have it all, I don't care anymore.
    How do you feel about records and books? You can still do that with both. And records can be sociable if you can find other people into old weird stuff. Maybe you find a weird organ album, rerecording hits of that release year. Maybe you put it on a medium volume, have some friends over, drink some beers, talk about life. Or fucking eat pizza and tacos. It can be a good time.

Also, sometimes you find laser disks in the records.