Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Atari 7800

1. The Jag pad wasn't near as bad as everyone makes it out to be. The Pro Controller did indeed rock though...it was pure love.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    The Jag pad wasn't near as bad as everyone makes it out to be. The Pro Controller did indeed rock though...it was pure love.
    If hand cramps and button lag are your thing, then sure, they rock.

3. Never ever had an incident with button lag, and I have yet to ever use a controller that didn't give me hand cramps. I've used many controllers that gave them to me much quicker than the standard Jag pad, including the 7800's stick controller.

4. The power cord for the 7800 seems to have some kind of weird input, so you can't use a non-Atari replacement cord. I hear that this creates quite a problem for some retro-heads.

One cool 7800 game that hasn't been mentioned: Dark Chambers. It looks an awful lot like Gauntlet, doesn't it? Well, Dandy Dungeon (the original name for it, on 8bit Atari computers) was the inspiration for Gauntlet. The creator of Dandy Dungeon noticed this similarity and sued Atari over it but eventually settled out of court. And no, this 7800 port is not the result of the lawsuit - Atari Games and Atari were different companies at this point. Too bad there's no level editor for it, unlike the computer version.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Zerodash View Post
    The power cord for the 7800 seems to have some kind of weird input, so you can't use a non-Atari replacement cord. I hear that this creates quite a problem for some retro-heads.
    Yeah both the 5200 and 7800 have crazy power cords.

The 5200 cord actually plugs into the RF adapter.
    Backloggery
    GameTZ

Go home and be a family man.

7. Quote Originally Posted by PBMax View Post
    The 5200 cord actually plugs into the RF adapter.
    Yep, its crazy weird. I recently bought one with a broken RF- the little "spike" of a wire in the TV end was broken off. Since it is proprietary, I spent a few hours grafting a new RF plug onto the unit...not too fun if you aren't a circuit jockey.

I pulled out my 7800 last night because of this thread. I noticed that some of my 2600 Games don't quite work with the 7800- most notably being Space Invaders (Sears ver.). Are there any lists of known compatability issues with the 7800?

8. I think Robot Tank (Activision) is not compatible with some of the later 7800s. My 7800 can play all those games though.

9. Quote Originally Posted by bVork View Post
    Tower Toppler was released as Castelian on NES. I prefer that port to the 7800 version. It also was released as Nebulus on C64 and showed up on that recent C64 DTV joystick. I highly recommend that port.
    Nebulus was the original name of the game when it was released in Europe (where it was developed); Tower Toppler is simply the name given to the US release. Also, I believe the C64 version was the original. The 7800 version was an excellent port and one of that system's best games.

NeoZeedeater, the colors for 7800 Tower Toppler do appear wrong on the emulated screenshot you posted. This might have to do with some graphical phenomenon where they draw the graphics in a single color in the high-resolution mode, which creates artifacts on a TV that show up as different colors. This sort of trickery was more common on Atari 8-bit computer games, and may have appeared in a few 5200 games as well. The idea as I understand it (as I haven't programmed these machines) is that you can simulate several colors without the need to drop to low-res mode. The downside is that many emulators don't account for this trickery, and a modern high-resolution monitor shows the bitmapped graphics exactly as they were "programmed", rather than the intended artifacting that appears on a low-resolution NTSC TV with RF or composite.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    I believe several games (Ballblazer and one other) included the POKEY chip, which was actually a pretty good sound chip for its time.
    Commando was the other 7800 game that included the Pokey chip. The 7800 version of that game was incredibly well done, and another top title in the library.
    "PSP will elevate portable entertainment out of the handheld gaming ghetto." -- Kaz Hirai

10. I just might have to try out Ninja Golf.