Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst ... 23456818 ... LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy XIV

1. So now it's downloading, but at 47kbps.

So in literally 26 hours it'll be done. The best part is I guess it's set up like a torrent and I'm seeding it out at 4Mbps up. Fucking Christ.

2. So go download it at one of a million separate mirrors posted on a million different forums, or usenet.

3. Turn outs if you just go to the section in the beta folder you can open the torrent up in uTorrent or whatever you use.

You don't even need to go to the forums. So yeah, now I have about 130 peers giving me 4.9Mbps down. Should be done in like 10 minutes.

4. Holy shit what a boring fucking game.

I don't even know what I'm supposed to do, I'm in some huge area that's really just a lot of boring empty pathways leading to things I can't use. I don't know how to get out, the little bit of combat I've done was just TERRIBLE and there's no apparant open area to run out into that will let me start messing around with the combat more. Seriously, fuck this game.

Edit: Also this game runs like shit. I have a GTX280, 8 gigs of ram and an overclocked Quad and it's using 95-99% of my GPUs power at all time and making it run stupid fucking hot. I could run the Cata Beta with everything maxed in windowed mode on one monitor, plus normal WoW same settings on my other monitor and I'm not where near the usage, and I'd be about 10 degrees colder too. What the fuck is with this game?
    Last edited by Opaque; 07 Sep 2010 at 09:30 PM.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Opaque View Post
    I don't even know what I'm supposed to do, I'm in some huge area that's really just a lot of boring empty pathways leading to things I can't use.
    I wasn't kidding about them not telling you shit. Odds are you're still in an instanced location. When you first finish your intro they'll dump you in front of an NPC. Talk to them and they'll offer to take you to the local inn, where a quest guy will talk a bunch about how you're in danger and then to bind yourself to a new location. Nearby should be a counter with two NPCs behind it, one of them will have guildleves (grab only the battle ones unless you picked a gathering class). Grab all the ones that are marked for level 1, and then leave town to get to the new location they want you to bind to. If you picked the first town you have to take the stairs down (I don't much care for that place, the third town you can pick from to start at is probably the easiest to navigate) before you can find a way out, and check your map once you're outside the town to see where to go. From there you can fight random shit, do the guildleves at the stone, or just wander. Should be a lot easier to figure out what's going on after that.

If you need to talk to the main quest guy, open your menu and pick NPC linkshell. Your quests are under Journal. When you get new abilities, if you can't find them you have to make sure to select the dropdown box above where it says "Unequip" and pick your class (this threw me off for a few minutes). Also, once you reach the giant glowing stone, you have to open your menu to select the option to interact with it.

Really though, if you're already frustrated with it you probably won't like much more of it. I've spent a lot of time just figuring stuff out, which is part of the charm to me, but it's definitely not about making things easy for anyone that's just jumping in.
    Edit: Also this game runs like shit. I have a GTX280, 8 gigs of ram and an overclocked Quad and it's using 95-99% of my GPUs power at all time and making it run stupid fucking hot.
    They're adding video card support and effects constantly, it's literally been changing weekly as to what cards can run the game well. They haven't added official support for SLi yet even though it works if you're willing to fuck with other programs. Make sure ambient occlusion is off (it takes up way more power than it should) and try turning some stuff down. Running fullscreen is also a huge boost even though it defaulted me to windowed. I think they've even announced that a patch will be coming later on to help it run on what they're defining as weaker systems, which has a pretty crazy wide definition.

6. I just uninstalled it, it's so fucking terrible right now. There's not easy because you're new, and then there's just not built well. I've played too many Square games, too many RPGs and spend too much time on other MMOs to have combat and character interactions feel this... sloppy. Talking to someone is clunky, I don't really feel like I'm doing anything in the combat I did do and the world is just way to lifeless for how much it is stressing the shit out of my system at this time.

If they get shit cleaned up and offer a trial on the final version with an option to continue your trial character if you purchase the game I'll give it another shot then.

7. Pressing left or right to target someone is clunky? I mean, I get the slow and boring comments, but the targeting and combat systems are pretty straightforward and basic for the controls, that's not going to change. There's got an ATB bar which lets you use abilities while it has power that recharges pretty quickly, and doing the starter quest chain will net a couple more attacks and actually add some stuff to combat. Of course, if you were trying to use a keyboard then yeah, there's good reason I warned against that earlier.

8. I click left and the cursor turns into the same icon it would be inside of a word document. Then there's an arrow in their speech bubble, but it doesn't do anything? I've been spoiled by good character interaction in WoW I guess. I don't need ! over everyone with a quest, but at the same time once I start talking to someone there should be more precise interaction.

I found targeting fine, for what it was, but it still felt like the interface explaining combat was non intuitive. I mean, why did the action bar only come up if I hover over it? I'm sure there's a setting to turn it on full time, but why wouldn't it be like that by default? Speaking of default, you have to close the game and open a separate program to alter your resolution or swap between windowed and full screen? Who the fuck builds a game that way?

Other wise I actually did like that you could easily manipulate other aspects of the UI without the need for externally downloading UI Mods, that was nice. It doesn't fix all the other problems I have with feeling like I'm not really controlling anything tangibly, though. And again, it runs horribly right now, and I can't excuse a beta stressing my card to the point of breaking when it's just not fun yet.

Let me know when they fix it.

A big problem 11 had was that the PC version wasn't reworked for a PC interface at all, and felt extremely clunky unless you were using a PS2 gamepad (or equivalent). Playing it with a mouse and expecting intelligent UI made the game a huge disappointment for me.

Being able to move the UI around sounds like a huge improvement already.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

10. Yeah I really did like that part, you can drag your bars as well as enemy bars anywhere you want by default. This extends to positioning the map and sizing and moving the text boxes as well.

If only ANYTHING else in this game was as clean right now.