Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123457 ... LastLast

Thread: Same Name, Different Game

Quote Originally Posted by Biff View Post
    You forgot Double Dragon NES vs Arcade NEO and also After Burner You're slipping!!
    I mentioned NES Double Dragon as a borderline different game. I can see why someone would list it. The vs. mode extras aspect is kind of like SMS Bubble Bobble with the extras and password system. I left that out, too. I don't recall After Burner being much different than the arcade aside from the graphic downgrade. I'm sure I forgot games but many were left out on purpose.
    Last edited by NeoZeedeater; 11 May 2008 at 05:00 PM.

2. Arcade DD >>> SMS Double Dragon >>> NES Double Dragon

And while we're at it (another awesome topic neo) How about Alien Vs Predator super nes/arcade (ugh)
    Last edited by Othello Harrington; 11 May 2008 at 05:01 PM.

3. I forgot about the hearts!

Still, I'd say it was more of a busted port than a new game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

4. I agree, the game had incredible potential but ended up sucking.

River City Ransom was and still is the best crossbreed of Beat em up with any other game type.

Why can't they do a next generation version on a console, the online potential would be HUGE

5. I thought half the Korean MMO games were basically doing that.

Nobody actually wants to play that shit online.

6. A domestic version would rock. Fuck Korean mmo's everbody is at level 8,000,000 by the time anybody in the states finds out about it.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Biff View Post
    Arcade DD >>> SMS Double Dragon >>> NES Double Dragon
    Dude, you are on CRACK!!

Arcade DD = NES Double Dragon >>>>>>>>>SMS Double Dragon>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>C64 Double Dragon

I'm in the camp that arcade and NES DD are totally different games. I love them both so I can't rank one above the other. Why are they different games? The hearts is the obvious thing, but the level two Willams glitch kind of takes the heart factor out. The more meaningful differences are things like the 1-plane areas or some of the outright platforming before entering the boss room. Then the combat system is totally different with no stun->touch->grab mechanic. The controls are tighter with much less floaty (usable) jumps. It's just different all around.

The SMS version is an unplayable mess. They threw all of their effort into recreating the arcade level structure so the game mechanics ended up not even slightly resembling the original. I HATE that jumpkicks don't knock down. I HATE that it's a total number of hits required to knock someone down and not a number of consecutive hits. I HATE that the grab-> knee is so impossible/random to pull off. You seem to have to input a command while standing over a downed opponent as they're getting up, but they fly 90 feet when you knock them down and they get up instantly. I HATE that there's no stun at all. ...but I love that the headbutt animation looks like Billy's spitting in the dude's face.
    Last edited by Cheebs; 11 May 2008 at 05:38 PM.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Cheebs View Post
    The SMS version is an unplayable mess.
    Madness. It's no arcade version, but it was a damned good port.

9. I gotta go with Frog on this one

10. The NES version's music kicks the shit out of the SMS version.

And lol at that K.O. sound effect. "Electric turkey gobble".
    Last edited by YellerDog; 11 May 2008 at 06:00 PM.