Page 11 of 41 FirstFirst ... 79101112131525 ... LastLast

Thread: Under the Radar SNES/Genesis Games

1. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    Egad. If room isn't a factor, $50 can get you a Kick Ass SDTV off of craigslist.
    Yeah, I played Donkey Kong Country 2 all the time as a kid, so I have a very vivid memory of what it SHOULD look like...and trust me, what it looks like on my HDTV just isn't right. It's an abomination. lol. So, I may consider going out and finding a SDTV, just so I can play that game properly.

2. Also, I think I had a little bit too much fun playing "Tuff E Nuff" the other day...or whatever the hell that game is called. I picked it up at a used game store for $3, expecting it to be total trash, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

3. Dude, the first day I went from my shitty RF box to Red/Yellow/White cables on my SNES was like becoming a reborn Christian.

Down with the devil (RF)!

Also, for cheap SD TVs, check your local Goodwill. Much cheaper than craigslist.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Tain View Post
    I made sure to mention composite! I mean, are there techniques that are exclusive to RF that composite ruins? I haven't heard of any.
    Not the regular RCA composite, but once you go to S-Video, yeah, you lose that one pixel horizontal bleed.

This is also why a lot of things have that rainbow banding effect on the Nomad screen.

5. Quote Originally Posted by magnifiedplaid View Post
    Yes, all I have at my house right now is an HD-TV. I've had some mixed results with the picture quality. Some games haven't looked THAT bad, but Donkey Kong Country 2 looked so horrendous that it was almost unplayable.
    It's not just ugly, it's also probably making some barely-noticeable-but-still-really-shouldn't-be-there lag. Might be annoying for certain games. $20 SDTV at Goodwill imo.

6. This might seem kind of off topic, but it's not...

I was watching the MLB Network right now, and they had a piece on Justin Morneau of the Minnesota Twins. He was talking about how he has been having balance problems since he got a concussion. They showed him in a specialized gym doing balance exercises, and he was talking about how they were trying to re-train his brain to not recognize the error signals that it gets from his eyes. Because of this problem, he has trouble doing things as simple as tracking objects with his eyes.

The reason I mention this, is that my doctor put me through all of these same exercises, and took me to the same specialized gym to do these workouts to try and fix my problems....and it's the reason why I can only play 2-D video games right now. If any of you have the MLB Network, try to catch that feature on a re-run, it is truly fascinating stuff! Now I'm wondering if my dizzyness/vertio/motion sickness/balance problems are really from the car accident I had that year. Maybe I sustained a concussion from it. It was just weird shit, that I happened to catch this on T.V. right now. It weirded me out....now I know I'm not the only one going through this shit.

7. Quote Originally Posted by GohanX View Post
    I disagree. Europe and Japan both had RGB, and the majority of these old systems used it, and even back then it was widely known that RGB was superior. Component isn't quite as good for these old systems, but it's the next best thing we have here.
    No, in this case it's really a matter of these games displaying incorrectly in RGB, even on an old CRT. I don't know if this is an issue unique to the Genesis, but I can just clearly demonstrate the problem here with a few screenshots. On the left you have a clear image of what the Genesis is actually outputting (this is how it looks in Component) and on the right, you have an approximation of how the game looks when accounting for the one-pixel wide bleed that is naturally produced by RF and and composite video. Notice the nasty horizontal bar effect on the left?

In some games (like EWJ) it's subtle. In others (like Duke 3D), it's utterly eye-searing in RGB.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CompositeBlur1.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	261.7 KB 
ID:	64056   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CompositeBlur2.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	175.8 KB 
ID:	64057   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CompositeBlur3.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	218.5 KB 
ID:	64058   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CompositeBlur4.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	253.8 KB 
ID:	64059  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CompositeBlur5.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	169.2 KB 
ID:	64060  
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 23 Dec 2011 at 07:12 PM.

8. I just tried Sonic in s-video expecting a little bit more bleeding than in those approximated RGB shots, but nope, it was just about as crisp as those. Hella banding. I honestly don't know if the tradeoff is worth it to me, though.

I think Frog and I look at differnt things when determining picture quality. In the games on my setup none of those examples bother me in the slightest, but the blurriness and crap color of the composite connection really do bother me.

10. Genesis:
    * Junction
    * 2 Crude Dudes/Crude Buster
    * Cadash (If you don't mind being limited to Mage or Fighter. Tough shit if you want to use the Ninja or Priest. )
    * Grind Stormer - Not bad but MAME does it with BGM now.
    * Steel Empire - Horizontal shooter with some cool "smoking wreckage" effects on larger enemies.
    * Air Buster - It is in MAME however.
    * Robo Aleste (CD)
    * Wonder Dog (CD)
    * Wolfchild (both versions- cart & CD soundtracks & level layouts are not quite the same)
    * Fire Shark - Somewhat like Truxton with a WWII theme, but better game play.
    * Hellfire
    * Gaiares

SNES:
    * Run Saber
    * Super Turrican
    * Super Turrican 2 (Not exactly Turrican to the same extent as ST1, but you may still like it)
    * Space Megaforce/Super Aleste