Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yawara! A Fashionable Judo Girl

Yawara! A Fashionable Judo Girl

If you didn't know, AnimeIgo released a boxset of the first 40 episodes of Yawara and it can be found at Best Buy for $75 (which is a lot less than ordering it direct).

This show is so fucking good. If you like high school romantic comedy and fighting anime it's a really good choice. My son just got it for me for father's day (and gave it to me early!).

For fans of Maison Ikkoku, Kimagure Orange Road, the good Ranma seasons, and the rest of the good stuff from that period (late 80's/early 90's).

From wiki:

The story is about Yawara Inokuma, a young girl who aspires to an ordinary life but who, due to her innate talent, is forced to keep practicing judo by her authoritarian grandfather, Jigorou Inokuma, with the aim of achieving championship in Japan and the gold medal in the Barcelona's 1992 Olympic Games. Because of all the pressure from her grandfather, she has a generally bad attitude about judo, avoiding it as much as she can. However, as the manga continues, she begins to understand why her grandfather so loves judo, and she begins to appreciate it more.
    AnimeIgo has done another fine job of subbing and packaging, including a 70 page booklet full of episode notes and cultural explanations, judo move and terminology explanations (also in subs) etc.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yawara.JPG 
Views:	450 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	46219  

2. i've been on an anime sports fix for the last several months, starting with Hajime no Ippo, One Outs, and Ookiku Furikabutte.

I've got 57 eps of Yawara, but I just haven't had the time to watch it. But thanks to this thread, i'll give it another go.
    Last edited by Klonoa; 05 Jun 2009 at 08:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ex Ranza View Post
    Halverson had me totally convinced of Cybermorph's greatness, I'll tell you that much.

Then I got a Jag, took it home, and something seemed... not right.

3. Oh! You should mention that it was created by Naoki Urasawa, who also created Monster, 20th Century Boys, and co-created Master Keaton!
    Donk

Quote Originally Posted by Finch View Post
    Oh! You should mention that it was created by Naoki Urasawa, who also created Monster, 20th Century Boys, and co-created Master Keaton!
    I totally meant to! Thanks! Tristen's reading 20th Century Boys right now. I will read it soon too.

5. DON'T FORGET TEZUKA'S PLUTO. GOOD SHIT.

I hear tell there was an ACTUAL Judo Olympian that's known as "Yawara-chan" due to her being so similar to the character. i hope I run into this at a Best Buy... they haven't been too good 'round these parts lately.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaoofNee View Post

I hear tell there was an ACTUAL Judo Olympian that's known as "Yawara-chan" due to her being so similar to the character.
    Yes, Ryoko Tamura (now Tani is her married name) and here's a really fucking cool video compilation highlighting a lot of her fights! Silver medal in Barcelona Olympics and Atlanta, gold in 2000 Sydney Olympics and gold in 2004 in Athens, holds seven world titles...

This one's awesome too:

Last edited by Scourge; 05 Jun 2009 at 10:03 PM.

7. My buddy's new girl is Japanese and doesn't do judo at all. But when she heard this came out in English she said it was the best thing ever and that we had to watch it. Then she told us about Ryoko Tani so I dialed up this page for the HL videos. She got all happy and started jumping around and making theatrics like a referee and yelling "Ippon" and "WazarI" to the video. LOL, what a cute chick. I might have to watch this some day.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Scourge View Post
    This show is so fucking good. If you like high school romantic comedy and fighting anime it's a really good choice.
    I liked Ping Pong Club, although it was more Junior High comedy and sports anime. Will I like this?
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

9. I don't think it's as goofy as Ping Pong Club (I've never seen that, but I'm assuming). Not having seen Ping Pong Club, I can't really answer your question I guess. This show's very much a sport anime, but it's pretty much from the girl point of view, the girl wanting really to just be a normal high school girl and dress pretty and fall in love, but her destiny lies in judo because she's amazing at it.
    Last edited by Scourge; 08 Jun 2009 at 09:21 PM.