Page 8 of 37 FirstFirst ... 46789101222 ... LastLast

Thread: George Lucas to not make any new Star Wars movies, fans apathetic

1. They're the laserdisc versions. That's not even DVD-quality, let alone Blu-Ray.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

2. I don't like the prequels. They're coarse and rough and irritating and get everywhere. Not like the original trilogy. They're soft and smooth.
    Quick zephyrs blow, vexing daft Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by Shin Johnpv View Post
    I disagree with this. The original films were just as bad, they have some shitty dialogue, not so great acting, pacing issues, plot issues, hell RotJ has some major issues in general by itself. Though I will give you Empire was fantastically directed. Probably the best directed movie out of all 6 of them. The difference is you grew up with them. Kids today who are growing up with the prequels fucking LOVE them just as much as everyone else does the originals.
    This isn't opinion, it's fact, and you're wrong. I know the original trilogy isn't cinematic perfection, but it's leaps and bounds above the prequels just on the basis of telling a coherent story that makes sense, and by being directed with competence in exciting locations. From a narrative perspective, who was the main character of A New Hope, and can you quickly sum up his character arc? Yes, easily. What about the Phantom Menace?

It's like writing a song: you don't just string together notes that you think sound good with a complete disregard to accepted structures. Even someone that doesn't have the basest idea of how it works will know that something is subtly off and will feel a disconnect. I could go on and on for hours but I won't. It's not something that is up for debate, really. Other people have done a much better job of this than I could, look it up if you care so much.

Lucas is a terrible director. Actors who have done amazing jobs in other films struggled to even sound human in these. They weren't allowed to bring any sort of improvisation to their characters whatsoever, from dialogue to body language, and it shows in how fucking boring they all are. Contrast that to Ford's off-the-cuff "I know" line from Empire. Everything was filmed in a studio in one really big, green room, and it shows in how the actors are forced to move in restricted ways even though they're supposed to be in these gigantic CG edifices. They stand square in the center and then walk slowly offscreen. Every dialogue scene is as boring as it could possibly be, shot with the most basic master/shot/reverse shot imaginable. Again, I could go on for ever and ever, but I won't. It's out there, way better than I could articulate it, and it's all factual and correct, not opinion biased by nostalgia.

btw, this has NOTHING to do with being a kid when I watched the og trilogy, that is the dumbest fucking argument. As a kid I adored RotJ and the Ewoks, and I thought A New Hope was boring as fuck. My opinions, understanding, and appreciation of films has matured drastically over the past 25 years.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

4. I think the big problem with the new trilogy was the writing, not the direction. These actors struggled to sound human because they were given horrible dialogue and uninteresting things to say. The movies were about what, intergalactic trading or some shit? Horrible. It's not even about midi-chlorians, this stuff was just not captivating.

It's like, if in Taken, Liam Neeson went to France not to rescue his daughter but because his business partner was investing in different factories from the ones they talked about, and just found out his daughter was gone at the same time. And half the movie was Liam and his business partner going over tax tables and arguing in a boardroom.

5. Yeah, screenwriting isn't magic. 90% of movies follow the same three act structure or some variation of 'The Hero's Journey'.

Ep. 1 was a fucking mess. As was pointed out by redlettermedia, it doesn't even have a fucking PROTAGONIST. The first fucking thing a movie needs, and it doesn't have one. Without the Star Wars name and George Lucas' clout, no fucking way that piece of trash gets made.

6. The prequels are about trade disputes, tariffs, etc.
    The original trilogy is about galactic civil war.
    What would the sequel trilogy be about? A war over intellectual property rights?

Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    I think the big problem with the new trilogy was the writing, not the direction. These actors struggled to sound human because they were given horrible dialogue and uninteresting things to say. The movies were about what, intergalactic trading or some shit? Horrible. It's not even about midi-chlorians, this stuff was just not captivating.

It's like, if in Taken, Liam Neeson went to France not to rescue his daughter but because his business partner was investing in different factories from the ones they talked about, and just found out his daughter was gone at the same time. And half the movie was Liam and his business partner going over tax tables and arguing in a boardroom.
    Sure, that stuff increased the chances of it being boring, but it wasn't a deal breaker. Just look at the clone wars cartoon.

George should have just let Genndy Tartakovsky animated and direct those three films. If anyone knows how to frame shots and make you care about sparse dialog laden films, it is Tartakovsky.

Quote Originally Posted by Shin Johnpv View Post
    Hell for me, cut down the podrace scene to 5 minutes tops, and cut out some of the Jar Jar stuff and Phantom Menace is just as good as any of the OT.
    It couldn't polish ESB's droids.

9. LOL this thread. People arguing about Star Wars like it's 1999.

I can see it both ways. George can get all butthurt about people unfairly bitching about the changes he's made to his films, but he deserves it because all he has to do to cease the gripes is release the unaltered trilogy in a decent format, not those non-anamorphic laserdisc transfers from a few years back.
    I'm not a devious man by nature... but when you're unarmed, your tactics might gonna be downright Archimedean.

It's a miracle he somehow fought back the temptation to include a scene with a little kid Han Solo, dressed up like a baby smuggler. Not a person that smuggles babies, but a little kid dressed up like a tiny smuggler. That's all that was missing in terms of utter shit.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery