"Now the world changes MGS". While many will liken this to be nothing more than a marketing spin at its finest, the debut of <i>Metal Gear Solid</i> created a whole new dimension by which games of the original series looked at tactical espionage. In some respects, the game was very much like an interactive game, one that delivered a epic story and an immersive experience. So naturally you can imagine that the attention for the sequel - Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty was well deserved when E3 attendees got their first glimpse of the game in action back in 2000.

To consider it as "highly anticipated" would be an understatement, with its second trailer causing the Konami server to crash due to the excess wave of users attempting to get ahold of the new footage. By the time <i>MGS2</i> made its official release, gamers dived head first into the newest adventure starring the legendary heroic icon - Solid Snake. (We'll save the history of all the uproar from those who scoffed at the plot twist, Raiden, among other elements.) Fast forward to the present, and a "expansion disc" of sorts is on its way, entitled <i>Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance</i>. Though while you eagerly are awaiting this new disc, filled with new bonuses and features that rightfully should have been delivered the first time around, Konami has released an special disc - designed for the diehard fan.

The Document of Metal Gear Solid 2. If you're the type who's had mixed emotions about the game and found some minor element which somehow detracted from your enjoyment...this disc is not for you. Get out and stop reading, because the following information will essentially be of no benefit. But for those of you who are curious about the <i>Document of MGS2</i> - the disc is essentially for Metal Gear diehard types only. In short, it's a combination of a fan disc, and virtual documentary meshed into one package.

There's a stylish intro to kick things off, composed of FMV sequences, character models and various storyboard/conceptual text from MGS2. There's a bevy of options which the user can look through - character 3D models, storyboards and cut scenes for the first segment on the Tanker (w/o sound unfortunately), staff listings and their respective positions in relation to the game, a sound test mode (composed of 4 settings ranging from "infiltration" to "discovered", artwork, 3D character models (complete with options to alter the bg, lighting and color...a debug mode in a sense). The disc also features the entire collection of all the MGS2 trailers featured throughout the various trade shows in North America, Europe and Japan...including a few never-before-seen preliminary trailers leading up to the historic trailer at E3 2000!

Here's a breakdown of each "mode" in the Making (of Metal Gear Solid 2)...

1. <b>Characters</b> - Browse through still images and 3D models from Solid Snake, Olga, the Ninja, and even Solidus Snake (optional gear accessible in same style as featured MGS/MGS2 as if selecting weapons or items. Heh, cool). 3D models can be viewed at any angle. (There's also a unused characters table which contains a psuedo cel-shaded Mei Ling who was used for a experimental animation project which apparently never saw the light of day in the game, or something).

2. <b>Mechanics</b> - Browse through still images of the mechas featured in the game. Now you can look at Metal Gear Ray in all its glory, and then some. Can be viewed at any angle.

3. <b>Background</b> - Browse through still images and 3D modes of the game enviroments. Want to see the Big Shell, study the width of the Tanker? Now you can, and yes - these too can be examined at any angle to your hearts content.

4. <b>Polygon Demos</b> - Replay all of the sequences. Pause, slo-mo and camera movement options avaialable. As mentioned earlier, no sound is present.

5. <b>Program</b> - Outlines the programming techniques in a "easy-to-undestand" format to understand and appreciate the fundaments and underlying structure.

6. <b>Sound</b> - As expressed earlier, this basically is like a BGM sound test mode. (Note: Not every piece of music is here in case you're thinking you've got the entire score here. Settle down for a sec, it's not. I was really looking forward to at least hearing Metal Gear Solid 2 score, and the tanker intro sequence. I am sick of relying on the MP3s so it looks like I'll have to invest in the official soundtrack after all for the rest.)

7. <b>Game Plan</b> - Read through a draft of MGS2 proposal in the works.

8. <b>Script</b> - The official script word-for-word. Contains some hidden intentions/stage direction that would not normally be picked up while playing. Good, solid reading material.

9. <b>Staff</b> - Check out the entire Metal Gear development team...the staff list, and profiles of some of its members.

10. <b>Chronicle</b> - contains a time line detailing the long, hard road leading to the develoment of Metal Gear Solid 2.

11. <b>Special Footage</b> - As outlined above, features video segments ranging from trade show trailers to behind-the-scenes footage recorded during the game's development.

12. <b>Items</b> - CHeck out some of the cool items and products based upon the MGS2 franchise - heh, lots of Raiden
stuff here.

Well, all of that would be pretty ho-hum, and certainly not worth the investment unless again - you can't get enough of the game *cough* Zidane *cough* ...the disc also includes a 5-level VR demo training session based on the VR Training levels which will be included in Metal Gear Solid: Substance:. (The last level left me playing for hours...good stuff, Substance is definitely going to be the game to get). It's unfortunate that all of these elements couldn't have been featured in the original <i>MGS2</i> edition (or even <i>Substance</i> for that matter...though it's hardly something to consider will hamper your gaming budget.

Those with moderate intrigue and interest owe it to themselves to pick this up - if you're truly that much of a fanatic. Sadly, there doesn'tseem to be any hidden purpose after completing the VR missions (like the way DOA3's OXBM demo disc worked for the original game). Nevertheless, it's a relatively solid resource, the VR teaser is a nice little bonus which I enjoyed immensely. I'll be keeping my CODEC open once my local retailer gets <i>Substance</i> in stock...

Semper fi.